Everest Base Camp - 3 Passes Trek
The Everest Base Camp - 3 Passes Trek is the ultimate trek in the Everest region. The trek takes you across three high mountain passes of Kongma La (5,540 m), Cho La (5,335 m) and Renjo La (5,400 m). The EBC - 3 Passes trek offers a fortnight of sheer mountain bliss only reserved for the truly adventurous.
The trek follows the lower Khumbu trail towards Everest Base Camp crossing over the three passes making this a comprehensive circuit of the Everest region. Though strenuous trekking at times, you are rewarded with remarkable Himalayan scenery including four of the world's eight highest peaks; Cho Oyu (8,201m), Makalu (8,463m), Lhotse (8,516 m), Everest (8,850m). You also get to see the beautiful village of Gokyo and its emerald lakes.
This is all complemented by inviting Sherpa villages, homes and monasteries offering an insight into the quiet and culturally vibrant Sherpa way of life. You have the opportunity to visit ‘off the tourist trail’ tracks if you choose, and you can experience more remote villages and mountainous areas.
Everest Base Camp - 3 Passes - Trek Facts
- Trek Difficulty: Level 4 - Difficult
- Trek Duration: 15 days
- Remoteness: Fairly remote
- Max altitude: 5540 meters at Kongma La pass
- Accommodation: Inexpensive teahouses/ mid-priced lodges / expensive guesthouses
- Best season: Mar-May, Oct-Nov
- Transport To/From Trek: Flight to the town of Lukla; also accessible by taking a bus to Shivalaya and then a few days of trekking up to Lukla.
- Required permits:
- Trekkers' Information Management System (TIMS) Card
- Sagarmatha National Park Permit
- No restrictive permits are required for the EBC trek
There are other trekking options in the Everest region, beside the 15-day EBC – 3 Passes trek:
- The standard Everest Base Camp trek is similar to this trek but it can be completed in 12 days
- If you have less time on your hands then you may want to opt for the Everest Panorama trek, which is a 7-day trek that shows you the beauty of the Everest region within a week.
- Gokyo and Everest Base Camp trek is another trek in the Everest region. It explores the Base Camp area as well as the Gokyo valley with its spectacular lakes. This trek can be completed in 14 days.
Everest Base Camp - 3 Passes - Safety considerations
All trekking agencies available at Bookmundi.com take safety seriously and are assessed on their safety standards after every trek, via trekkers’ feedback. They will therefore go through safety procedures with you during your pre-trek meeting. However, please note the following particulars for the Everest Base Camp – 3 Passes trek:
- This is a high altitude trek and therefore careful acclimatization is needed. Ensure acclimatization days are taken during the trek to avoid altitude sickness.
- Please make sure that you are well prepared for the climate for that part of the season. Near EBC, temperatures can drop to as low as -20°C/-4°F during late autumn and early spring. The temperature dip even further down during winters.
Everest Base Camp - 3 Passes - Itinerary
The following is a standard itinerary for EBC - 3 Passes trek . It may vary slightly depending on the final trekking agency you choose to go with:
- Day 01: Fly to Lukla and Trek to Phakding (2,652m)
- Day 02: Trek to Namche Bazzar (3440m)
- Day 03: Acclimatization day
- Day 04: Trek to Thame (3,800m)
- Day 05: Trek to Lumde (4,380m)
- Day 06: Trek to Gokya via Renjo la (4,790m)
- Day 07: Trek to Thaknak (4,700m)
- Day 08: Trek to Zungla via Chola pass (4,620m)
- Day 09: Trek to Gorekshep (5,140m)
- Day 10: Visit Everest Base Camp (5,364m)
- Day 11: Hike to Kalapatthar and Trek to Lobuche (4,910m)
- Day 12: Trek to Chukung (4,730m)
- Day 13: Trek to Tengboche (3,860m)
- Day 14: Trek to Namche Bazzar (3440m)
- Day 15: Trek to Lukla (2,840m)
Trekking Seasons In Nepal
Health And Safety While Trekking
Trekking And Climbing Equipment Needed