Cape Town - Tour Highlights and Travel Tips
The capital of South Africa and one of the world’s most recognisable cities, Cape Town - or the Mother City as it is often known - is a cacophony of cultures that has worked hard to establish peaceful coexistence. Nowadays Christians, Muslims and Hindus rub shoulders with the traditional African practices that are indigenous to South Africa. After a turbulent past, every culture and lifestyle is accepted as a key ingredient to Cape Town’s unique flavour. The result of such an inclusive atmosphere? A creative freedom that has painted the city in every colour and pattern imaginable. From the natural wonders of Table Mountain to the local goods of Bay Harbour Market, holidays to Cape Town is a feast for the senses.
- Drive the famous route along Table Mountain from Chapman’s Peak to Cape Point National Park and see where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans collide.
- Head to the suburb of Muizenberg for an afternoon of surfing or strolling along the boardwalk.
- Visit Cape Town’s Boulders Beach Park and see African penguins in their natural habitat.
- Take a tour to Cape Town’s Bo-Kaap neighbourhood, meet the friendly locals and their rainbow coloured homes.
- The Bay Harbour Market is open on weekends and is a great place for souvenirs, delicious food and live music. Also check out the seals at Hout Bay.
- Hike or cable car up to the top of Table Mountain, or alternatively hike the smaller Lion’s Head.
- District Six Museum pays homage to the damage inflicted during apartheid and is a worthy history lesson.
Spend an afternoon exploring the V&A Waterfront. The harbour is home to many restaurants, bars, shops and cinemas.
- Wander along the Victorian architecture of Long Street where you’ll find quaint bars and cafes to stop for a drink.
- Explore the Art-Deco buildings of Greenmarket Square.
- Wind is forceful in Cape Town and the summer months of October-March are the windiest. April is the best time to visit.
- Buses are slow and unreliable. Taxis are more expensive but safer.
- Keep valuables hidden and avoid walking alone or in a couple at night.
- Shoprite is the budget supermarket in Cape Town.