Spending holidays in Athens, the cradle of European situation, means you get to experience a bustling metropolis where rich ancient heritage, urban buzz and laid-back Mediterranean lifestyle all blend into one. During your visit to Athens, you can go from stepping on 2,500-year- old ruins to sipping strong black coffee in one of its relaxed cafés to casually shopping for couture in one of Kolonaki’s boutiques in a matter of hours.
- Nestled on an old citadel overlooking the Greek capital, Acropolis is the birthplace of democracy and the crown jewel of Athenian ancient sights. Acropolis’ most important architectural feat is the Parthenon, a magnificent temple that dates back to 5 th century BC.
- At the foot of Acropolis, you will find Plaka, a historic neighborhood characterized by quaint cobbles alleys, neoclassical architecture and old Roman-era ruins.
- A quiet inner-city oasis, the National Garden spans 38 acres of luscious vegetation, as well as duck ponds and a small zoo.
- Syntagma Square, a gorgeous plaza lined with shops, cafés and neoclassical mansions, represents the heart of the city and a central meeting point for all Athenians.
- Any trip to Athens simply wouldn’t be complete without trying a bona fide Greek souvlaki. Best places to do so can be found along the Mitropoleos Street, where you can fill your belly like a true Greek god.
- If you’re planning your visit to Athens during scorching summer months, you might want to refresh yourself by checking out one of the capital’s numerous beaches, such as Vouliagmeni and Cape Sounion.
- Due to inflated prices and unbearably hot weather, you might want to plan your holidays in Athens outside of peak summer months (July and August). Spring, early summer and fall tend to be the most pleasant months for sightseeing, as there is still plenty of sunshine, but the temperatures tend to be more moderate.
- The most efficient way to get around Athens is by using the metro. You can either purchase single journeys or an all-day ticket, which might be convenient if you plan on doing a lot of sightseeing.