Switzerland in September: Weather and Travel Tips
- 2.01k views
If you hate crowded vacation spots and wish to save money on your trip, you might want to head for Switzerland in September. This month signals the start of fall and is part of a low tourist season in the country. With not many visitors around, the ‘playground of Europe’ is all yours to enjoy. Barring occasional rain showers, the weather conditions of Switzerland in September are mostly favorable for outdoor activities such as hiking in Gstaad and mountaineering in Valais.
Switzerland Weather in September
Temperatures across Switzerland start dropping in September. Still, the weather is pleasant in most parts of the country. Low-lying areas in the country have mild to warm weather, particularly during the first few weeks of September. In cities like Zurich, Geneva and Lugano, the daytime average temperature is 20°C. High-altitude areas, on the other hand, are colder. In the mountain resort town of Zermatt, the average temperature is 4°C.
For a seasonal overview, check out our article on the best time to visit Switzerland.
Weather in Switzerland in September - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||2||6||11||15||20||21||24||23||20||14||7||4|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||-2||-2||1||3||7||11||13||13||10||7||2||-1|
|Avg Daily (°F)||35.6||42.8||51.8||59||68||69.8||75.2||73.4||68||57.2||44.6||39.2|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||28.4||28.4||33.8||37.4||44.6||51.8||55.4||55.4||50||44.6||35.6||30.2|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||70||70||70||70||90||110||80||120||80||70||70||70|
Why Visit Switzerland in September
From photogenic weather to fewer crowds, there are many things to love and enjoy about Switzerland in September. We have listed some of them below.
- Streets are quieter: If you are visiting Switzerland in September, expect the streets to be somewhat quiet and subdued. This is the start of the low season, so there will not be many tourists around. Sparse tourist numbers offer you the opportunity to enjoy the country’s attractions in a quiet environment. Here are our city sightseeing tours in Switzerland.
- Pleasant weather: The temperature in Switzerland is just right between September and October. Summer is over and winter has not quite set in yet. So enjoy the fine weather on the cusp of winter as you explore highlights. If you plan to go hiking, you will find the trails uncrowded and the weather pleasant.
- Lower rates: When you travel to Switzerland in September, most hotels will be cheaper since it is part of a low season. There is also a possibility that you will come across great off-season deals at some of Switzerland's top attractions. Check out our best deals for a Switzerland tour.
- Photogenic hiking trails: While September may not be the best time to hike in Switzerland, it still offers plenty of opportunities to do so. And when you do, you will be rewarded by trails that look more photogenic than ever. Gorgeous fall shades dominate the landscapes as though they had jumped out from a fairy tale.
- Vineyard visits: September is the perfect month to visit Swiss vineyards as autumn hues make them more beautiful. It is that time of year when grapes are ripe and ready for harvest. Switzerland is home to several vineyards and the most popular of these is the Lavaux Vineyard Terraces.
Where to Go and What to Do
One of the best things to do in Switzerland in September is to explore the picturesque Matterhorn, more popularly known as the ‘Toblerone Mountain’. In fact, the ideal time to climb this iconic mountain is during autumn, from June to September.
The country is also famous for its scenic train rides and there is no better time to do this than during the autumn season. The spellbinding Alpine scenery looks even more enthralling in September as leaves change their hues. Take the Zermatt to Saint Moritz route for a memorable train journey.
September is also a great time to explore Zurich. Stroll through its streets and visit museums like the Swiss National Museum and Kunsthaus Zürich. You can also spend some time in the city’s old town or take a tour of historical sites like the 17th-century Rathaus. Alternatively, you might also want to go on a short hike to the city's surrounding hills and enjoy al fresco dining at some of its top restaurants.
September is a great time to travel to Switzerland on budget and in style. There are not too many tourists in the country during this time, so the prices are lower and you will get to discover local attractions without any distraction. The weather is also right during this time — not too warm and not too cold either. Have a look at our Switzerland budget tours.
Click here to plan a customized tour of Switzerland in September with the help of our local travel specialists. Here are our tours to Switzerland in September.
Switzerland in August
Switzerland in October