- 254 views
Namibia is a country in southwest Africa. Namibia is famous for magnificent sand dunes of the desert Namib and great wildlife watching opportunities. Windhoek, its capital, is a great starting point for these activities. Namibia has many beautiful national parks, including Etosha and Skeleton Coast. The country is ideal for the active vacation because it offers many adventures and safaris. Now, let's see when the best time to visit Namibia is.
- High Season: May to October
- Low Season: December to March
- All Seasons: May to October (high season), November (shoulder season), December to March (low season) and April (shoulder season).
The high season is the best time to travel to Namibia for the wildlife-watching activities. Hotel rates are the highest and you need to book the room well in advance. Rainfall is insignificant and morning temperatures tend to be low.
November features the rise in temperatures and short, yet intense showers. This month is the best time to go to Namibia for whale-watching activities along the coast. Humidity and high temperatures can make the low season unpleasant in Namibia. Furthermore, some paths become impassable due to heavy storms. This season is poor for observing the animals.
During April, the countryside is verdant, temperatures are pleasant with nice weather.
May to October – High Season
Winter is the best time to visit Namibia for watching the animals. Dry season forces the wildlife to gather around waterholes. During the day, temperatures are pleasant, but at night it can get cold. In the desert areas, temperatures may drop below freezing. During the season, you won't have much rain, if at all.
- Average temperature: 50°F - 84°F /10°C - 29°C (in Windhoek)
- Rainfall: around 60 mm during the entire period.
- Season: Dry / Winter
- Highlights: Etosha National Park offers great sightseeing during the day and night. Then, you will see many herbivores and carnivores around water sources, especially by the end of the season. The same applies to the region of Zambezi. Visit the Namib Desert to see sand dunes that change size and shape. Also, take a walk along the eroded Sesriem Canyon.
November – Shoulder Season
November is a variable month in Namibia. The dry period may continue, but this season is when the hot period begins. Also, clouds start to appear in the sky and you may experience intense rains.
- Average temperature: 61°F - 86°F / 16°C - 30°C (in Windhoek)
- Rainfall: 30 mm
- Season: Variable / Spring
- Highlights: If the dry season continues, you can see a lot of animals crowding sources of water. Go to Etosha, Ongava and AfriCat Foundation for the best sightseeing. The first thunderstorm of the wet season is a memorable show for everyone who attends it. November is the best time to go to Namibia for observing the migration of the whales. Go to Walvis Bay for the best experience.
December to March – Low Season
Namibia receives less rainfall than the neighboring countries, but summer is here considered the rainy season. Rains are short and usually occur during the afternoon. The humidity rises with high temperatures and the rainfall, and the days become unpleasant. Since there is enough water everywhere, spotting the wildlife is harder. If you plan to visit the Namib Desert, note that it is usually very hot there during this period.
- Average temperature: 59°F - 88°F / 15°C - 31°C (in Windhoek)
- Rainfall: 270 mm
- Season: Wet / Summer
- Highlights: This period is the best time to travel to Namibia for experiencing the lush landscape. Animals scatter and remain hidden by vegetation. Flowers beautify the Namib Desert and the watching activities of migratory birds are excellent. Unlike the Namib, the Skeleton Coast is a good destination for a visit from December to March. You can find low rates throughout Namibia during the low season.
April – Shoulder Season
April marks the end of the rainy season and has pleasant temperatures. The weather is clear while the countryside is green and without dust. So, if you like beautiful scenery, April is the ideal time for visiting Namibia. Hotel and other deals begin to rise.
- Average temperature: 55°F - 79°F / 13°C - 26°C (in Windhoek)
- Rainfall: 30 mm
- Season: Dry / Fall
- Highlights: In April, green patches tend to appear in the Namib. The rest of the country is the most beautiful then. Animals start to show themselves, but much less than in the high season.
Depending on the region, you can always find the right time for visiting Namibia. Any season is good for visiting the national parks. It can be either for observing animals or beautiful scenery. A visit to the Skeleton Coast is ideal during the low season, when it is warmer. The only time when you should avoid coming to the Namib is from December to February when temperatures are high.
Travelling to Namibia? Chat with a local travel specialist in Namibia who can help organize your trip.