- Polar expeditions and cruise
- duration 8 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 8+ years old
- max group size 132
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Flying from Punta Arenas to the South Shetland Islands is the fastest, most direct way of travelling to Antarctica, and the view over the Drake Passage is unforgettable
- Witness penguins playing in their natural habitat at inland rookeries during daily Zodiac landings along the Antarctic Peninsula led by your expert polar team.
- Enjoy a comprehensive series of onboard lectures presented by polar specialists in Antarctic history, geology and glaciology, provide great insight into landscapes.
- Let the crew of wellseasoned Antarctic experts monitor weather, sea and ice conditions and modify your itinerary to ensure shore landings and Zodiac cruises are abundant in wildlife sightings.
Skip the Drake Passage and journey to the deep south of the globe. With included charter flights between Punta Arenas and King George Island, you’ll begin your polar expedition in no time. Be immediately dazzled by some of the world’s most unbelievable landscapes, including calving glaciers, penguin rookeries and floating icebergs dotting the deep blue of the Antarctic Ocean. Sailing aboard your well-appointed expedition vessel, participate in a series of onboard lectures and workshops presented by an expert team of scientists and researchers, further enhancing your polar knowledge. No day will be the same, and with a crew focused on maximising wildlife sighting and shore landing opportunities, you will witness these wilds in all their icy wonder.
Punta Arenas – King George Island – Embarkation Day
South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula
King George Island – Disembarkation Day – Puntas Arenas
- Expedition Voyage, Hotel
- 7 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 6 Dinners
- Expedition cruise ship , plane , Zodiac
- Any international flights to/from Punta Arenas are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Antarctic Express - Fly the Drake from Punta Arenas tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 350+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Antarctic Express - Fly the Drake from Punta Arenas tour. You can cancel the tour up to 23 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 22 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 16 July 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 16 July 2021, a deposit of 20% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 22 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Antarctic Express - Fly the Drake from Punta Arenas tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Antarctic Express - Fly the Drake from Punta Arenas tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This trip runs on a number of polar expedition vessels, depending on the departure date. Each ship is equipped with well-appointed and comfortable staterooms, spacious common areas and outdoor viewing decks, but the exact layout and features do vary between ships. When booking a polar expedition, ensure that you note the ship name carefully in the ‘Dates & Availability’ section and consult its individual boat page to learn more about your vessel. For further information, speak to a Peregrine booking agent.
- Although our ice strengthened ships are big and sturdy, Antarctic waters can be unpredictable and rough. Some people may experience seasickness, especially through the Drake Passage and other open water crossings. Please be prepared with medications to combat this. There is also a doctor on board should you need further assistance.
- As you’d expect, temperatures in the Antarctic are freezing. A warm parka will be provided along with waterproof boots and unlimited hot drinks. Please see the ‘Packing’ section of the Essential Trip Information for details on what you will need to bring with you.
- Weather depending, you will be making regular excursions in a Zodiac boat to explore the local area and look for wildlife. It can get very cold and wet on the Zodiac, so make sure you have dressed appropriately and that you keep your camera safe and dry. Sturdy sea legs are needed as you make wet and dry landings from the boat, and on steep terrain, snow and other uneven surfaces. Some ships have a lot of stairs, so please hold on to the handrails if seas are rough.
- The weather plays a pivotal part in this adventure and although there’s an itinerary in place, there are no guarantees that you’ll be able to do everything that is planned for. A level of flexibility and openness to embracing the unexpected are important in expedition travel, especially to such a remote area. There are nearly 200 recognised sites in the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetlands; the places mentioned in the itinerary may need to be changed to others (which are equally as interesting). We may also be confined to the ship during rough weather. The onboard library and educational lectures are ideal ways of keeping entertained.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and general sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are furthermore regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
I’d like more information about the flight and aircraft used on this tour. What airline controls the flight from Punta arenas to Shetland island? What type of plane is used for this flight?
On day 2 of this tour, you will be transferred from Punta Arenas to King George Island via a charter flight. From there you will take a ship to the South Shetland Islands. Your voyage is operated by the tour operator’s sister company, Quark Expeditions. Quark uses smaller regional carriers rather than regular commercial airlines to reach the best jumping-off point for your trip.
Last modified (date)
Food and dietary requirements
The Intrepid Foundation
Your fellow travellers