As the gateway to the Amazon, tours to Puerto Maldonado has recently begun a period of development thanks to the increasing number of tourists arriving in search of a jungle experience. The most accessible route to the legendary wildlife of the Amazon Basin is found through Puerto Maldonado, making it the perfect starting point for any adventure. Don’t be in a rush to set-off on your jungle expedition. The town itself is worthy of some attention before heading into the Tambopata National Reserve. The balmy, tropical climate creates a laid-back vibe, perfect for strolling through the picturesque squares and enjoying a refreshing drink on the twinkling harbour.
- A visit to Puerto Maldonado’s Mariposario Tambopata butterfly farm is a tame introduction to some of the wildlife you’ll see in the jungle.
- Watch the never-ending succession of weird and wonderful river traffic make its way down the Río Madre de Dios at the ferry dock of the same name.
- The Obelisco is the closest thing to a skyscraper in this part of the world. At 30 meters high, it is just tall enough to afford you a perfect view of Puerto Maldonado and the vast jungle in the distance.
- See the snaking form of Río Madre de Dios from the lush Plaza Grau.
- Peruse the Puerto Maldonado market for local produce and wares.
- Visit Collpa de la Cachuela, a clay lick just 20 minutes by boat from Puerto Maldonado. Hundreds of Macaws and other Amazonian natives feed off of the clay here.
- From Cusco to reach Puerto Maldonado, you can travel either via a quick 40 minute flight, a bus or even a bicycle (only for the fittest ones)!
- You can make a trip to Puerto Maldonado year-round, though the wet season is from October to March.
- Be prepared for a lot of mosquitos. Bring mosquito repellent and try to wear long sleeved shirts and trousers to protect your skin.
Peru has seasonal weather, please sure to read up on the best time to visit Peru to plan a perfect holiday. If you are looking for more then do read our guide on the best things to do in Peru and if trekking is your thing then we have curated 10 best treks in Peru aside from the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.