Filled with forests, islands, lakes, and modern cities, Finland has a little something for everyone. Often overlooked in favor of Sweden or Norway, Finland has a much more authentic and local Scandinavian feel. If you are unsure what to expect from a trip to this wonderful nation, this Finland Travel Guide is the perfect place to start. Come spend 7 days in Finland exploring the country’s culture and history, or see the Northern Lights and other natural wonders, you will find plenty of trips to fit your needs.
The best time to visit Finland is considered to be from June to August, especially if you are heading up to Lapland, home to Santa, sledding and, of course, snow—lots of it. But Finland in June can be a paradise for outdoor lovers with kayaking, hiking, and climbing activities galore. This is true for Finland in July as well. Together with the extended daylight hours, the summer months also give you plenty of time to explore and enjoy the popular sites as well as least-known corners of this beautiful country. And If you are unsure about how many days to spend in Finland, you can check out our guide and see what kind of itinerary fits your dream Finnish vacation.
Top Destinations in Finland
Discover the highlights of Finland.
Zip Down Slopes in Lapland
What is the best way to get around Finland in winter? On skis, of course! Follow the locals and hit the slopes while you are in and around Lapland. The resort of Yllas in Finnish Lapland is a snow lovers’ paradise and an 8-day tour guarantees sights, culture, and exhilaration. View Tours
Learn About Art and Culture in Helsinki
Located on the banks of the Gulf of Finland, Helsinki, is a city full to the brim with history and culture. Take a tour of the National Museum, wander along Mannerheimintie, or visit the Uspenski Cathedral on a 10-day Scandinavian Capitals tour. View Tours
Explore the Natural Beauty in Kuusamo
If you want to experience the wilderness of Finland, head to Kuusamo for 8 days of snowshoeing, husky sledding, skiing, and ice-climbing. With cultural experiences like visiting a local reindeer farm included, this is a vacation like no other. View Tours
Finland at a Glance
Quick facts about Finland.
Helsinki is the capital of Finland. Known for its exquisite architecture and vibrant history, one can find Scandinavian and Eastern European influences here.
338,145 square kilometers. Finland is one of the largest countries in Europe. A large area of the country is natural wilderness.
+358. If you are calling a Helsinki number, add the area code 9 after the country code and the phone number you wish to connect.
Finland uses the Euro like much of Europe. It is quickly becoming a cashless society, so credit and debit cards are widely accepted.
The main airport in Finland is Helsinki Airport. You can take a train directly from the airport to the city center in just 30 minutes. CODE: HEL CLOSEST CITY: HELSINKI
Finland is a part of the Schengen area so the majority of travelers can visit for 90 days out of a 180-day period without having to get a visa. Some nationalities, however, will need to get a Schengen visa so check with your nearest embassy and consulate regarding visa requirements.
The official languages of Finland are Finnish and Swedish. There are several indigenous languages such as Sami and Romani as well. English, too, is spoken by around 70 percent of the population.
The emergency number for police, fire, and ambulance services is 112.
Around 75 percent of Finland is covered by forests, making the country an ideal destination for outdoor adventures. It also explains why almost half of the Finnish population lives in the capital, Helsinki, leaving the majority of the country as wild and protected areas.
When to visit Finland
Read the below travel guides to find the best time to visit Finland.
- Jan Avg Daily: -1 ° C Avg Nightly: -9 ° C
- Feb Avg Daily: -1 ° C Avg Nightly: -10 ° C
- Mar Avg Daily: 2 ° C Avg Nightly: -6 ° C
- Apr Avg Daily: 8 ° C Avg Nightly: -1 ° C
- May Avg Daily: 15 ° C Avg Nightly: 4 ° C
- Jun Avg Daily: 19 ° C Avg Nightly: 9 ° C
- Jul Avg Daily: 21 ° C Avg Nightly: 12 ° C
- Aug Avg Daily: 19 ° C Avg Nightly: 11 ° C
- Sep Avg Daily: 14 ° C Avg Nightly: 6 ° C
- Oct Avg Daily: 8 ° C Avg Nightly: 3 ° C
- Nov Avg Daily: 2 ° C Avg Nightly: -2 ° C
- Dec Avg Daily: 0 ° C Avg Nightly: -7 ° C
Finland in February: Travel Tips for Snow-clad Ventures
Finland in February is frigid, but this is also one of the best months to venture around the snow-blanketed landscapes and see the magical Northern Lights. The last-official month of winter, February is a paradise for snow-based sports and outdoor activit ...Read more
Finland in December: Start of Winter Months
The Finnish Lapland is the mythical home of Santa Claus, and Rovaniemi is a must-visit if you want to meet Father Christmas himself and get into the festive spirit. The snow-blanketed landscapes make this an ideal time to enjoy outdoor pursuits like dog s ...Read more
Finland in January: Winter Activities and Exploration
With the northern parts of Finland located inside the Arctic Circle, the country is a winter holiday heaven in January. From dog-sledding expeditions, and steamy saunas in traditional log cabins, to cold-water dips in the Arctic Ocean or Lapland lakes, yo ...Read more
How long to stay in Finland
Read about the ideal duration to stay in Finland.
7 Days in Finland: Top 2 Recommendations
With spectacular snow-covered scenery, a magical display of the Northern Lights, and a spirit-lifting summer, Finland is truly a fantastic place to travel to. While the country is most famous for the wild beauty of its Lapland, a trip to Finland also offe ...Read more
Great Finland Itineraries: How Many Days to Spend?
Spot polar bears in their natural habitat, sleep in igloos, and see the Northern Lights — Finland deserves a place on everyone's bucket list! While a Finnish polar expedition is a fabulous way to explore the vast wilderness of the country, travelers ...Read more
Finland Tour and Holiday Packages
Select the tour type that you are looking for.
FAQs for Finland
Read the most frequently asked questions and answers about traveling to Finland below.
- How much does a tour to Finland cost?
- How many days are enough to travel in Finland?
- What is the best month to visit Finland?
- What is the best way to get to Finland?
- Is Finland tourist friendly?
Sustainable travel — How to travel through Finland responsibly
In line with Bookmundi’s vision, we wish to provide our travelers with a sustainable travel experience through Finland. As part of this effort, we carbon-offset any Finland tour that you purchase through us. You can read more details about our carbon offsetting efforts.
Here’s what you can do to travel to Finland more responsibly:
- Carbon-offset your visit to Finland via Finnair. The moment your tour starts in Finland, and provided that you have purchased your tour through Bookmundi, we will carbon-offset your tour from its starting point to its ending point.
- Visit Finland has actually launched its own sustainability program which helps visitors enjoy the country mindfully and helps reduce the impact tourism has on the environment. You can learn more about what you can do to travel sustainably throughout Finland here.
- As you travel and research your trip, keep an eye out for the special sustainable green labels. These have been vetted by Sustainable Travel Finland (STF) so you know that you are in good hands and your excursion or experience will be eco-friendly. You can learn more about what businesses have to do to achieve this label here.
Finland travel tips and insights
- There are roughly 3.5 million saunas in Finland.
- Get a Rail Pass while in Finland. It will save you quite a bit on transportation.
- Prices in the fall and winter months are cheaper for traveling to Finland.
- The winter months are the best times to visit for the Northern Lights
Ready to customize your Finland Vacation
Book your trip when it is perfectly designed and customized, just for you.