- Art and architecture
- duration 1 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 10+ years old
- max group size 6
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Madu River: There are around 64 islands in the river and lagoon, from a tiny speck housing, a deserted shrine to one housing 250 families, connected to the mainland via a long footbridge.
- Mask Factory: Horana, Benthara, Ambalangoda and Mirissa are the areas in Sri Lanka, which are famous for kolam masks and dancing.
Treat yourself to a laid-back Madu River boat ride and immerse yourself in the scenic wonder of the southern coast. The tranquil river is flanked by lush mangroves abound with various species of birds and reptiles. Learn about ancient history and culture at the Mask Factory and wander around Galle and have lunch at the epic Southern capital. Finally, visit a turtle hatchery and watch the turtles being released back into their natural habitat.
You will be picked up from your hotel and taken to visit Balapitiya, home to the Madu Ganga to commence a river safari (duration 2hrs approx.). Madu River is a complex coastal ecosystem of mangroves and islands. A boat tour is an ideal way to experience hundreds of species of plants and animals in their natural habitat. You can visit an island with a Buddhist monastery, where the friendly young monks will show you a 150-year-old book made of palm leaves and how they cook on cinnamon wood on an open fire. Upon completion, proceed to visit a Mask Factory in Ambalangoda (duration 1hr approx.). This is the first Kolam masks and dancing group in Ambalangoda. Thereafter proceed to Galle and commence a city tour of Galle (duration 2hrs approx.). Walk the Dutch-haunted streets listening to the creaks of wooden saloon doors and observe how European architecture mingles with South Asian traditions today flooding cultural enthusiasts on a global scale. Walk clockwise within the fort to observe the 'old gate' carrying the British coat of arms. Flanking the old gate is the Zwart bastion and the lighthouse standing 18 feet in its glory next to the Point Utrecht Bastion. This Dutch bliss is painted with streets that spread in a rectangular grid pattern pierced with houses carrying Dutch colonial style verandas. Hop into the Dutch Hospital Shopping Complex to be mesmerized by an array of souvenir selections (own expense). However, its hallmark stands a reality where the Dutch fort remains a working community with its usual buzz of administrative offices, court complex, commercial buildings, churches and Southern folks frequenting its streets bracing the air of the Elysium of architecture, Galle! Have lunch at a restaurant in Galle (included). Upon completion, proceed to Kosgoda and visit a Turtle Hatchery. At the hatchery, anglers are paid for rescuing the vulnerable eggs, which they collect at night, along the sandy beach. Visitors can witness the exceptional sight of them hatching or even see tanks filled with newborn hatchlings. After being fed, the baby turtles are returned back to the sea where they are released when they are 2-4 days old. Once placed on the beach, most baby sea turtles start moving towards the water, flapping their tiny flippers. Children in particular love to visit the hatchery and watch the turtles being released back into their natural habitat. Upon completion, proceed to your respective beach hotel in Bentota or Negombo.
- Lunch at a local restaurant in Galle
- Private transportation in an air-conditioning vehicle
- Operated with English-speaking driver-guide
- Balapitiya Boat Ride
- All entrance fees and activities mentioned in the itinerary: Ambalangoda Mask Factory, Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery, Galle city tour
- Drinks during meals (unless specified otherwise)
- Any visit not mentioned in the program
- Porterage and gratuities
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals or items not stated explicitly in the program
- Any alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, mineral water, camera/video camera fee (if any)
- Travel Insurance or any loss or extra cost arising due to unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays, accidents, etc.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Madu River & Galle Full-day Tour With Lunch, Private Excursion tour. You can cancel the tour up to 35 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 34 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 24 October 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 24 October 2021, a deposit of 25% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 34 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Madu River & Galle Full-day Tour With Lunch, Private Excursion tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Madu River & Galle Full-day Tour With Lunch, Private Excursion tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has implemented smaller group sizes than normal, allowing for more personal space on the vehicles, sights visited, hotels and restaurants.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this trip. Wearing a mask, hand washing and general sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are furthermore regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.