- 4.63k views
In a constantly growing city like Kathmandu, the ordeal to find a decent accommodation is very real. With accommodations ranging from budget friendly to expensive, finding the right accommodation can be stressful. Here are some of the 10 best hotels and boutique hotels in Kathmandu, that is inclusive of all price ranges.
1. Traditional Homes – Swotha
Tucked in the medieval city of Patan, is a 70-year old, restored Newari residence converted into a hotel. The rooms are equipped with modern amenities without losing the essence of an old house. The residence also has an intimate lounge/restaurant called Café Swotha that plates out select continental and Newari dishes.
- Room rates starting from: USD 80*
- Facilities: Shuttle service from the airport, heritage walks
- Nearest sightseeing: Patan Durbar Square and The Golden Temple is just around the corner
- Distance from the airport: 20 mins
- Address: Narayan Temple, Swotha, Patan
2. Hotel Shambala
A Tibetan boutique hotel in the outskirts of Kathmandu but still near the city centre, Hotel Shambala offers the best in modern amenities with traditional Nepalese hospitality. The terrace of the hotel flaunts a gorgeous infinity pool and poolside café that opens to a beautiful urban view of the valley fenced by lush green hills on all sides.
- Room rates starting from: USD 100* (including breakfast)
- Facilities: Free WiFi, bicycle rentals, wellness spa, shuttle service
- Nearest sightseeing: Pashupatinath and Boudha Stupa are around 5 km away
- Distance from the airport: 23 mins
- Address: Chakrapath, Bansbari Road, Kathmandu
3. Dwarika’s Hotel
Architecturally pleasing, Dwarika’s is an embodiment of the valley’s aesthetic values. Decorated in Newari motifs and craftsmanship at every direction, the hotel features all modern amenities required to make your stay comfortable. The rooms are luxurious at best and have a royal touch to its arrangements. The hotel has five restaurants, each holding its own cuisine and style, allowing a full-fledged culinary experience within its premises.
- Room rates starting from: USD 320*
- Facilities: Yoga and fitness center, free WiFi, transportation
- Nearest sightseeing: Pashupatinath and Boudha Stupa
- Distance from the airport: 10 mins
- Address: Battisputali, Kathmandu
4. Hyatt Regency
Hyatt Regency is the crème de la crème of hotels in Kathmandu which has hosted famous celebrities like J.K. Rowling. Set on 37 acres of land, the hotel is a seamless amalgam of contemporary designs and traditional aesthetics. Tastefully designed to blend Nepali culture in the overall layout, there is no compromising on comfort and luxury. Soak up Kathmandu as much as you can, and come back to an evening of traditional music and cultural performances.
- Room rates starting from: USD 160*
- Facilities: Health club, yoga shuttle service, jogging track, and multiple swimming pools
- Nearest sightseeing: Pashupatinath Temple and Boudha Stupa
- Distance from the airport: 14 mins
- Address: Boudha, Kathmandu
5. Kathmandu Guest House (KGH)
The first guest house to ever open in the tourist hub, Thamel, KGH is a Rana-era mansion with a beautiful garden that has offered comfortable and elegant accommodations to some of the famous actors, and even the Beatles! Reasonably priced, KGH’s prime location keeps most bars/restaurants and sightseeing spots in its close proximity.
- Room rates starting from: USD 50* (inclusive of breakfast and airport pick up)
- Facilities: Airport pickups, campfire with live music
- Nearest sightseeing: Swayambhu Stupa, Ason traditional market, Kathmandu Durbar Square
- Distance from the airport: 22 mins
- Address: Thamel, Kathmandu
6. Fairfield by Marriott
Ideal for both business and leisure travel, the Fairfield hotel in Kathmandu is close to the city center and some of the most iconic heritages in Kathmandu. World cuisines are offered in their in-house Kava restaurant, with all-day dining and superb buffet breakfast.
- Rome rates starting from: USD 100*
- Facilities: Free WiFi access, fitness club
- Nearest sightseeing: Swoyambhu Stupa, Ason Traditional Market, Garden of Dreams, Kathmandu Durbar Square
- Distance from the airport: 21 mins
- Address: Tridevi Marg, Thamel, Kathmandu
7. Piano B&B
Run by an Italian couple, Piano B&B is a quaint bed and breakfast in Patan. It only has three rooms but each one is private with en-suite bathrooms that has been recently renovated. The bed and breakfast also features a terrace for quiet evenings, star studded nights or warm summer mornings. Their fantastic Italian restaurant is right next door for your hunger lust. Reservation is highly recommended.
- Room rates starting from: USD 35* (including breakfast)
- Facilities: Discounts on weekly and monthly stay, lunch and dinner on order, and pet-friendly accommodation
- Nearest sightseeing: Patan Durbar Square and Central Zoo
- Distance from the airport: 24 mins
- Address: Bhanimandal, Lalitpur
8. Tings Tea Lounge Hotel
Tings is an oasis for travelers who are looking for a comfortable accommodation with all the basic amenities at hands. You can either relax in your room or meet fellow travelers at the common area. They also have an amazing food menu that compliments the stay. Reservations are highly recommended!
- Room rates starting from: USD 20* (includes breakfast)
- Facilities: Free WiFi, breakfast, airport pick up can be arranged, access to guest kitchen, free water
- Nearest sightseeing: Kathmandu Durbar Square, The Royal Palace, and Thamel
- Distance from the airport: 20 mins
- Address: Lazimpat, Kathmandu
9. Ambassador Chhauni
A cozy, comfortable apartment hotel in Kathmandu, Ambassador Chhauni avails its guest with individual rooms or modern apartment living with service of a hotel. Whether you are here for a day or for a month, Ambassador Chhauni is your answer for your own place in Kathmandu. Although located off the prime location, the city center and many important heritage sites are just a few minutes away.
- Room rates starting from: USD 40* (including breakfast)
- Facilities: Free WiFi, breakfast, airport shuttle, car hire, kitchenette apartments
- Nearest sightseeing: Swoyambhu, Kathmandu Durbar Square, Museums, Thamel
- Distance from the airport: 25 mins
- Address: Chhauni, Kathmandu
10. Hotel Annapurna
Located near the Royal palace, Hotel Annapurna is only minutes away from major heritage sites and shopping districts. Their impeccable service and facilities ensure a comfortable and convenient stay for you. The hotel can be completely occupied during peak seasons, hence early booking is highly recommended.
- Room rates starting from: USD 130* (including breakfast)
- Facilities: Swimming pool, restaurants, babysitting, airport shuttle/private car
- Nearest sightseeing: The Royal Palace, Kathmandu Durbar Square, Thamel, Garden of Dreams
- Distance from the airport: 20 mins
- Address: Durbarmarg, Kathmandu
During the peak tourist season (September – November), the hotel prices hike up and finding a decent accommodation without prior booking will be a hassle. Making early reservations is highly recommended. That said, the capital is booming with hotels and guest houses; you will have no trouble finding a hotel in Kathmandu fit for your budget.
*Note: Prices listed have been updated as of July, 2018.
Travelling to Nepal? Chat with a local travel specialist in Nepal who can help organize your trip.
Jón Jonker Travel Expert in Nepal
Shiv Raj Singh Travel Expert in India & Nepal
Nilam Bastola Travel Expert in Nepal