In a constantly growing city like Kathmandu, the ordeal to find a decent accommodation is very real. With accommodations ranging from budget friendly to expensive, finding the right accommodation can be stressful. Here are some of the 10 best hotels and boutique hotels in Kathmandu, that is inclusive of all price ranges.
1. Traditional Homes – Swotha
Tucked in the medieval city of Patan, is a 70 year old restored Newari residence converted into a hotel. The rooms are equipped with modern amenities without losing the essence of an old house. The residence also has an intimate lounge/restaurant called Café Swotha that plates out select continental and Newari dishes.
- Room Rates starting from: USD 80
- Facilities: Shuttle service from the airport, Heritage Walks/Cycling in the vicinity
- Nearest sightseeing: Patan Durbar Square and The Golden Temple is just around the corner
- Distance from the airport: 20 mins
- Address: Narayan Temple, Swotha, Patan
2. Hotel Shambala
A Tibetan boutique hotel in the outskirts of Kathmandu but still near the city centre, Hotel Shambala offers the best in modern amenities with traditional Nepalese hospitality. The terrace of the hotel flaunts a gorgeous infinity pool and poolside café that opens to a beautiful urban view of the valley fenced by lush green hills on all sides.
- Room Rates starting from: USD 87 (including breakfast)
- Facilities: Free WiFi, Bicycle Rentals, Wellness Spa, Shuttle Service
- Nearest sightseeing: Pashupatinath and Boudhanath Stupa are around 5 km away
- Distance from the airport: 23 mins
- Address: Chakrapath, Bansbari Road, Kathmandu
3. Dwarika’s Hotel
Architecturally pleasing Dwarika’s is an embodiment of the valley’s aesthetic values. Decorated in Newari motifs and craftsmanship at every direction, the hotel features all modern amenities required to make your stay comfortable. The rooms are luxurious at best and have a royal touch to its arrangements. The hotel has five restaurants, each holding its own cuisine and style, allowing a full-fledged culinary experience within its premises.
- Room Rates starting from: USD 220
- Facilities: Yoga & Fitness Center, Free WiFi, Tour and Transportation
- Nearest sightseeing: Pashupatinath and Boudhanath Stupa
- Distance from the airport: 10 mins
- Address: Battisputali, Kathmandu
4. Hyatt Regency
Hyatt Regency is the crème de la crème of hotels in Kathmandu which has hosted famous celebrities like J.K. Rowling. Set on 37 acres of land, the hotel is a seamless amalgam of contemporary designs and traditional aesthetics. Tastefully designed to blend Nepali culture in the overall layout, there is no compromising on comfort and luxury. Soak up Kathmandu as much as you can, and come back to an evening of traditional music and cultural performances.
- Room Rates starting from: USD 102
- Facilities: Health club, yoga shuttle service, jogging track, and multiple swimming pools
- Nearest sightseeing: Pashupatinath Temple and Boudhanath Stupa
- Distance from the airport: 14 mins
- Address: Boudha, Kathmandu
5. Kathmandu Guest House (KGH)
The first guest house to ever open in the tourist hub, Thamel, KGH is a Rana-era mansion with a beautiful garden that has offered comfortable and elegant accommodations to some of the famous actors, and even the Beatles! Reasonably priced, KGH’s prime location keeps most bars/restaurants and sightseeing spots in its close proximity.
- Room Rates starting from: USD 36 (inclusive of breakfast and airport pick up)
- Facilities: Airport pickups, campfire with live music, special tour packages
- Nearest Sightseeing: Swayambhunath Stupa, Ason Traditional Market, Kathmandu Durbar Square
- Distance from the airport: 22 mins
- Address: Thamel, Kathmandu
6. Fairfield by Marriott
Ideal for both business and leisure travel, the Fairfield hotel in Kathmandu is close to the city center and some of the most iconic heritages in Kathmandu. World cuisines are offered in their in-house Kava restaurant, with all-day dining and superb buffet breakfast.
- Rome Rates starting from: USD 90
- Facilities: Free WiFi access, fitness club, packages available
- Nearest Sightseeing: Swoyambhu, Ason Traditional Market, Garden of Dreams, Kathmandu Durbar Square
- Distance from the airport: 21 mins
- Address: Tridevi Marg, Thamel, Kathmandu
7. Piano B&B
Run by an Italian couple, Piano B&B is a quaint bed and breakfast in Patan. It only has three rooms but each one is private with en-suite bathrooms that has been recently renovated. The bed and breakfast also features a terrace for quiet evenings, star studded nights or warm summer mornings. Their fantastic Italian restaurant is right next door for your hunger lust. Reservation is highly recommended.
- Room Rates starting from: USD 35 (including breakfast)
- Facilities: Discounts on weekly and monthly stay, lunch and dinner on order, and pet-friendly accommodation
- Nearest Sightseeing: Patan Durbar Square and Central Zoo
- Distance from the airport: 24 mins
- Address: Bhanimandal, Lalitpur
8. Tings Tea Lounge Hotel
Tings is an oasis for travelers who are looking for a comfortable accommodation with all the basic amenities at hands. You can either relax in your room or meet fellow travelers at the common area. They also have an amazing food menu that compliments the stay. Reservations are highly recommended!
- Room Rates starting from: USD 20 (includes breakfast)
- Facilities: Free WiFi, breakfast, airport pick up can be arranged, access to guest kitchen, free water
- Nearest Sightseeing: Kathmandu Durbar Square, The Royal Palace, and Thamel
- Distance from the airport: 20 mins
- Address: Lazimpat, Kathmandu
9. Ambassador Chauni
A cozy, comfortable apartment hotel in Kathmandu, Ambassador Chauni avails its guest with individual rooms or modern apartment living with service of a hotel. Whether you are here for a day or for a month, Ambassador Chauni is your answer for your own place in Kathmandu. Although located off the prime location, the city center and many important heritage sites are just a few minutes away.
- Room Rates starting from: USD 40 (including breakfast)
- Facilities: Free WiFi, breakfast, airport shuttle, car hire, kitchenette apartments
- Nearest Sightseeing: Swoyambhu, Kathmandu Durbar Square, Museums, Thamel
- Distance from the airport: 25 mins
- Address: Chauni, Kathmandu
10. Hotel Annapurna
Located near the Royal palace, Hotel Annapurna is only minutes away from major heritage sites and shopping districts. Their impeccable service and facilities ensure a comfortable and convenient stay for you. The hotel can be completely occupied during peak seasons, hence early booking is highly recommended.
- Room Rates starting from: USD 128.16 (including breakfast)
- Facilities: Swimming Pool, Restaurants, babysitting, airport shuttle/private car
- Nearest Sightseeing: The Royal Palace, Kathmandu Durbar Square, Thamel, Garden of Dreams
- Distance from the airport: 20 mins
- Address: Durbarmarg, Kathmandu
During the peak tourist season (September – November), the hotel prices hike up and finding a decent accommodation without prior booking will be a hassle. Making early reservations is highly recommended. That said, the capital is booming with hotels and guest houses; you will have no trouble finding a hotel in Kathmandu fit for your budget.