- duration 15 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Explore trails linking whitewashed settlements and tiny monasteries to the vast pastures of Rupshu
- Head off the beaten track to the Zalung Karpo La and remote Tibetan borderlands
- Traverse passes fluttering with prayer flags that reflect the deep Buddhist heritage
- Visit ancient monasteries and forts in the upper Indus Valley
Trek beyond the famous Markha Valley across the Zalung Karpo La to Rupshu. This is the finest introduction to trekking in Ladakh. The itinerary reflects over 30 years experience in Ladakh and in our constant search for upgrading treks our 'Beyond the Markha Valley' would be hard to beat. In essence we extend our classic trek from the Markha Valley, following established trails linking whitewashed settlements and tiny monasteries to the vast grazing pastures of Rupshu. Rupshu is the home of the Khampa, the original mountain nomads and is perfect for those looking for an unusual and remote trek. This is a stunning trek that explores the Ladakh heartland, where the flutter of prayer flags and the ancient mani walls reflect the deep seated Buddhist heritage and where views of the Zanskar Range stretch to the borderlands of the Tibetan Plateau.
Day 1 : Join Delhi
Day 2 : Fly to Leh
Day 3-4 : In Leh
Day 5 : Leh to Zinchen and trek to Rumbak (1hr drive & 3hrs trek)
Day 6 : In Rumbak (acclimatisation walks)
Day 7 : Rumbak to camp below Ganda La (Walk approx. 3hrs)
Day 8 : Base Camp to Shogdo via Ganda La (Walk approx. 6hrs)
Day 9 : Shogdo to Narding (4-5 hrs)
Day 10 : Narding to Hankar via Markha(6-7 hrs)
Day 11 : Hanker to the base of the Zalung La (6 hrs)
Day 12 : Cross the Zalung La to Tsorka (6-7 hrs)
Day 13 : Trek to Dat settlement (walk approx. 7-8 hrs)
Day 14 : Drive to Leh via Hemis Monastery(drive 7-8 hrs)
Day 15 : Fly Leh to Delhi
- Good quality accommodation in Delhi & Leh
- 14 breakfasts, 13 lunches, 13 dinners
- Airport transfers on Day 1 & Day 15
- Private transportation
- Expert bilingual guide
- Group medical kit
- The use of a World Expeditions trek pack which includes a quality sleeping bag, down or fibre fill jacket and insulated mat (valued at over US$500)
- All park entrances & permits
- Mules to carry all personal and group baggage
- Souvenir World Expeditions kit bag
- Lunch & dinner in Delhi
- Aerated and alcoholic drinks on trek
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry etc
- Airport & departure taxes
- Travel insurance
- International flights
- Flights Delhi/Leh/Delhi
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 79+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Beyond the Markha Valley tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 21 July 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 21 July 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Beyond the Markha Valley tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Beyond the Markha Valley tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.