Russia - Tour Highlights and Travel Tips
The largest country in the world is known for its diverse landscapes, beautiful history, attractions of great historical importance, a delightful culture, incredible arts and passionate locals. Every trip to Russia offers something entirely unique as its multifaceted adventures ensure that you’re never tired or disappointed. The country was a melting pot for the Vikings, Turks, Tartars, Finns and Huns, each leaving their mark on its culture.
Russia is full of things to do such as Moscow and its culture, Irkutsk and its freezing delights, St. Petersburg and its architecture, Kamchatka and its hot springs, Lake Baikal and its spectacular beauty and the open air museum of Kizhi Island.
- Take a tour of the Kremlin
- Visit the colourful domes of Saint Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow
- Walk among the crypts and tombs of Dargavs, the “City of the Dead”
- Take a dip in the Sanduny Bathhouses
- Watch a ballet at the Bolshoi Theatre
- Walk through the ornate halls of Catherine Palace
- Many travel companies within Russia offer a tour of the ‘Golden Ring’. This is a great option if you want to take in some of the gorgeous ancient cities just north of Moscow.
- The Russians take their vodka very seriously. As a sign of respect, always drink your vodka straight, without ice or mixers. If finished with your drink, leave some vodka in your glass. Your host will almost always refill an empty glass.
- Several sites and attractions are closed during the colder months. If visiting between December and March, be sure to research opening times in advance.
- Want to really make the most of your trip? Brush up on Russian literature, music and history. Russians love talking about their culture with others.
- Finding English speakers can be difficult outside prime tourist areas, so be sure to learn some basic greetings and phrases before your visit.
- Same sex relationships are still not fully accepted in Russia. Try to avoid same sex PDA.