- Food tour
- City sightseeing
- Local culture
- Museum and gallery visits
- duration 8 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- max group size 18
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Baroque Lecce and cristalclear sea in Salento'Trulli' houses in AlberobelloVisit the unique UNESCO town of Matera
Puglia, known for its whitewashed hill towns, traditional farmland, fine cuisine, and the sweeping Mediterranean coastline is the southern heel of Italy, and until recently, its best kept secret. With a focus on art, architecture, traditions, and local cuisine, this trip explores the region’s highlights. From Matera, a UNESCO listed town carved into bare limestone rock, where centuries-old caves are still inhabited, we travel to the elegant white city of Ostuni and on to the medieval coastal town of Otranto and Baroque Lecce, known as the ‘Florence of the South'.
Day 1: Start Matera.
Day 2: Full day sightseeing in Matera, including a tour of the UNESCO "Sassi"
district; overnight in Matera.
Day 3: Drive to Alberobello via the charming fishing town of Polignano a Mare;
sightseeing and overnight in traditional 'trullo'.
Day 4: Free day. Visit the Castellana Caves or Monopoli by the Adriatic Sea.
Day 5: Explore the charming hilltop town of Ostuni; olive oil tasting and
pasta-making class in traditional masseria.
Day 6: Transfer to Otranto; visit the historic centre; afternoon optional coastal
walk or relax at the beach (seasonal); transfer to Lecce.
Day 7: Morning guided tour of baroque Lecce; afternoon free time.
Day 8: End Lecce.
- 7 nights 3 and 4-star hotels,All breakfasts, 1 lunch/cookery class, 1 wine tasting All accommodation
- 8 days land only / 8 days flight inclusive
- Travel by air-conditioned private minibus
- Group normally 6-18, plus leader.
- Min age 16 yrs
- Any international flights to Matera and from Lecce are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Puglia: Discover the Heel of Italy tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 82+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Puglia: Discover the Heel of Italy tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 17 November 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 17 November 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Puglia: Discover the Heel of Italy tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Puglia: Discover the Heel of Italy tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.