- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 32 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Follow the route of the ancient Silk Road, travelling in the footsteps of countless generations of nomads and traders
- Discover the unreal, rainbowcoloured landscape of Zhangye, a UNESCO site that looks like countless pots of bright paint have been spilled across sandstone mountains. You won't be able to put your camera away!
- Uncover the ‘other terracotta warriors’ in Xi’an’s Hanyangling Mausoleum, an authentic and more personal burial site that’s home to tens of thousands of buried pottery figures
- Experience the unique atmosphere of Kashgar’s Sunday Market
Unlock the secrets of the Silk Road on this immersive journey across Central Asia. From Beijing all the way to Tashkent, this epic 32-day trip heads west across China, showcasing stunning relics, dynastic palaces, Muslim minarets, hidden grottoes and rock-cut Buddhist masterpieces. Continuing into Kyrgyzstan and on to the heartland of Uzbekistan, be dazzled by Central Asia proper: the tranquil landscape of Song-Kol Lake; Solomon's Throne in historic Osh; and the superb mosques of Samarkand. Full of warmly hospitable locals, spectacular expanses and constant evocations of a legendary past, this is the Silk Road at its magical best.
Xi'an - Overnight Train
Zhangye - Danxia Geological Park
Jiayuguan - Dunhuang
China/Kyrgyzstan border - Torugart Pass - Naryn
Don Aryk - Issyk Kul - Kochkor
Suusamyr Valley - Chychkan - Kok-Bel
KGZ/UZB border crossing - Andijan - Tashkent
Samarkand - Shahrisabz - Bukhara
Gijduvan - Bukhara
- Hotel (23 nts), Overnight Sleeper Train (2 nts), Guesthouse/Homestay (5 nts), Yurt (1 nt)
- 17 Breakfasts, 7 Lunches, 7 Dinners
- Overnight Sleeper Train , Private Bus , Public Bus , High Speed Train , Metro/Subway
- An expert tour leader
- Xi'an - Muslim Quarter walking tour
- Xi'an - Terracotta Warriors Tour (entrace fee, transport, local guide included)
- Zhangye - Danxia Landform Geological Park
- Jiayuguan - Hanging Great Wall
- Jiayuguan - Fort
- Dunhuang - Mogao Caves
- Dunhuang - Crescent Moon Lake & Singing Sand Mountains
- Turpan - Jiaohe Ancient City
- Kashgar - Livestock Market & Grand Sunday Bazaar
- Bishkek - City Tour
- Shamsy Valley - Burana tower
- Don Aryk - Local home visit & horsemanship demonstration
- Kochkor - Market
- Kochkor - Women's Felt Co-op
- Uzgen - Uzgen Minaret & Complex
- Osh - Sulaiman-Too Mountain
- Osh - National Historical and Archaeological Museum Complex
- Tashkent - Chorsu Bazaar
- Tashkent - Khast Imom Complex & Moyie Mubarek Library Museum
- Tashkent - History Museum of the People of Uzbekistan
- Samarkand - Bibi-Khanym Mosque
- Samarkand - Gur-e-Amir Mausoleum
- Samarkand - Shakh-I-Zinda
- Samarkand - Registan
- Samarkand - Paper making workshop & home cooked lunch
- Shakhrisabz - Ak Saray Palace
- Shakhrisabz - Kok-Gumbaz Mosque
- Shakhrisabz - Dor-ut Tilovat Memorial Complex
- Shakhrisabz - Dorus Saodat Complex
- Bukhara - Ismail Samani Mausoleum
- Bukhara - Sitorai Mohi Hosa Palace
- Bukhara - Chor-Bakr Necropolis
- Bukhara - Ark Fortress
- Bukhara - Kalon Mosque
- Vobkent - Minaret
- Gijduvan - Ceramics workshop
- Any international flights to Beijing and from Tashkent are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this The Great Silk Road tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 178+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this The Great Silk Road tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 21 December 2020, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 21 December 2020, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 23 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
The Great Silk Road tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this The Great Silk Road tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- Central Asia is a remote destination, perfect for intrepid travellers in the true sense of the word! You will venture well away from cities, right off the beaten track and be able to immerse yourself in local food, life and culture.
- Accommodation may on occasion be more basic than what you are used to in homestays, guesthouses and yurt stay. Shower and toilet facilities will be limited in some places and non existent in others. While the comfort level won't always be high, the rewards of living in true local style in this far-out part of the world are immeasurable.
- This is an overland journey, so there will be some very long days of travelling and driving, often over rough terrain. This can be tiring at times and will require a great deal of patience at others, especially at border crossings.
- What Kyrgyzstan lacks in "sights" compared to the Silk Road monuments and old towns of Uzbekistan and China, it makes up for in alpine landscapes, opportunities for interaction with local families and plenty of time spent on the road or outdoors exploring natural surroundings.
- This trip travels on overnight hard sleeper trains on sections of the journey. Train travel in China may not be entirely luxurious, but it's certainly one of the best ways to travel long distances and come face-to-face with the country and its people. It's the main form of transport for locals, so take the chance to interact.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this tour. Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing, physical distancing is highly encouraged, and frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
Last modified (date)
Joining point description
Finish point description
Climate and seasonal
Your fellow travellers