If you want to experience trekking in Nepal, enjoy beautiful scenery, and visit traditional villages, but do not have time for a longer trek, then the Poonhill Trek is just what you might prefer. It is a relatively easy trek ideal for first-time trekkers.
Poonhill lies at an altitude of 3,210 m and promises spectacular panoramic views of Dhaulagiri, the world’s 7th highest mountain at 8,167 m and Annapurna I the world’s 10th highest mountain at 8,091m, together with many other sky-reaching peaks. This relatively small hill in Himalayan terms provides awe-inspiring mountain views, making all the physical efforts worthwhile. The panoramic view of the Annapurna range from atop Poonhill is unmatched.
Enroute to the Poonhill trail you’ll be presented with sparkling streams, oak and rhododendron forests, traditional Nepalese villages, and many local teashops. Ghandruk, an antique and cultural village, is another point of interest where the culture and tradition of the Gurung ethnic group can be explored. You can see the beautiful Mount Machhapuchhre (meaning fishtail) really close from here. This mountain in the Annapurna range looks particularly striking because of its pointed profile that looks like a fish tail, despite only having an altitude of 6,903m.
|Poonhill - Trek Facts|
|Trek Difficulty:||Level 1 - Easy|
|Trek Duration:||3-5 Days|
|Max Altitude:||3210 Meters|
|Accommodation:||Teahouses / Lodges|
|Best Season:||Mar-May, Oct-Nov, also accessible during winter (Dec-Feb) but warm clothing is required due to low temperatures during the nights and mornings.|
|Transport To/From Trek:||Bus, taxi or jeep|
The standard itinerary for the Poonhill trek is four days long. It may vary depending on the itinerary of your chosen trekking agency.
- Day 1: From Pokhara drive to Nayapul (1010 m / 1.5 hours) and trek up to Tikhedunga (1570 m / 3.5 hours)
- Day 2: Trek up to Ghorepani (2860 m / 5 hours)
- Day 3: Hike up to Poonhill (3210 m / 1.5 hours) and trek down to Tadapani (2660 m / 4 hours)
- Day 4: Trek down to Kimche via Ghandruk (1010 m / 5.5 hours). Drive back to Pokhara (3 hours)
Poonhill Trailhead – how to get there
The Poon Hill Trek starts from Nayapul which sits at an altitude of 1010 meters. You can get to Nayapul from Pokhara on a bus, taxi or jeep in about an hour via a scenic route. You can take either a 45-minute flight or a 5-8 houra bus drive to Pokhara, if you are starting from Kathmandu.
Poonhill - Safety Considerations
Safety is a primary concern here at BookMundi and we put great emphasis on the following:
- All trekking agencies available at Bookmundi.com are carefully chosen and are assessed on their safety standards after every trek, via trekkers’ feedback.
- The trekking agencies will go through safety procedures with you during your pre-trek meeting about the Poonhill trek.
- Please make sure you dress appropriately for the Poonhill trek based on the time of the year.