The Annapurna Base Camp (ABC) trek, also known as the Annapurna Sanctuary trek, is for the trekkers who are looking for spectacular scenery and a great trekking experience, but only have 9-11 days available for trekking.
Annapurna Base Camp lies at a height of 4,230 meters and is where mountaineers start their summit of Annapurna I, the 10th highest peak in the world at 8,091 meters. The ABC trail traverses a variety of terrain ranging from glacier moraine and rice terraces to rocky stone steps and, along the way, offers an amphitheater of huge Himalayan peaks.
In addition to great scenery, the trek takes you through the villages of the ethnic communities of Gurung and Thakali, the latter renowned for their incredibly tasty Dal Bhat, also known as ‘Thakali’ sets. While this trek can be undertaken all year round, it is especially beautiful during spring as rhododendron flowers along the trail turn red, pink and white. The Annapurna Base Camp trek is a classic trail and is recommended for anyone looking for a great trekking experience!
|Annapurna Base Camp - Trek Facts|
|Trek Difficulty:||Level 2 - Moderate|
|Trek Duration:||11 Days|
|Remoteness:||Not Remote with well-serviced trails|
|Max Altitude:||4230 meters at Annapurna Base Camp|
|Accommodation:||Cheap teahouses / Expensive Guesthouses / Lodges|
|Best Season:||Mar-May, Oct-Nov|
|Transport To/From Trek:||Bus or Flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara and then bus to the trailhead from Pokhara|
Below is a standard itinerary for the Annapurna Base Camp trek. It may vary depending on the final trekking agency you choose to go with:
- Day 01. Drive to Nayapul and trek to Tikhedhunga. (1540 m / 4 hours)
- Day 02. Trek to Ghorepani (2800 m / 5 hours)
- Day 03. Early morning hike up to Poon Hill (3200 m) and trek to Tadapani (4 hours)
- Day 04. Trek to Chhomrong (2170 m / 4 hours)
- Day 05. Trek to Dovan (2580 m / 5 hours)
- Day 06. Dovan to Machhapuchhre Base Camp (3700 m / 6 hours)
- Day 07. Trek to Annapurna Base Camp (4230 m / 4 hours)
- Day 08. Trek back to Bamboo (2340 m / 6 hours)
- Day 09. Trek to Jhinu hot springs (1780 m / 5.5 hours)
- Day 10. Trek to Nayapul (1070 m / 6 hours) and then drive to Pokhara
Besides the Annapurna Base Camp trek, there are other trekking options in the Annapurna region available to you.
- The Annapurna Circuit trek is similar to this trek and can be completed in +12 days.
- If you have less time on your hands and still want to explore the Annapurna region, then the 8-day Annapurna Panorama trek might be a good option for you.
Annapurna Base Camp trek - Safety considerations
Please see the following safety considerations for the Annapurna Base Camp trek:
- Since this is a high altitude trek that goes through high mountain passes, proper acclimatization is absolutely essential. Acclimatization days are required during the trek to avoid altitude sickness.
- Temperatures regularly drop below freezing at Annpurna Base Camp during early spring, late autumn and winter. Depending on the time of the year, please ensure that you are properly dressed and have proper gear.