1. Raft sacred rivers
From the Himalayan foothills to Southern India’s Barapole River, get your adrenaline pumping by riding the surging rapids throughout the country. Glacial-fed waters and rivers filled by the monsoon rains produce rapids from class I to class IV for a wide range of whitewater rafting adventures in India.
- Best time to raft: March – May (summer) and late September – November (fall) for pleasant temperatures and to avoid the monsoon season.
- Tip: Indus River in Ladakh, Barapole River in Coorg and Beas River in Kullu and Manali are just three of the many spectacular locations for a rafting adventure in India.
2. Fly in a hot air balloon
Get a unique glimpse of India’s vibrant culture, famous landmarks or beautiful scenery by going on a breathtaking hot air balloon ride. This exciting sightseeing adventure tour in India is quickly becoming one of the country’s most popular activities to explore its exotic destinations.
- Best time for balloon ride: Most hot air balloon flights take place from September – April (fall, winter and summer) to avoid scorching temperatures and/ or the monsoon season.
- Tip: The snow-lined peaks of Manali, pristine beaches of Goa and historic monuments of Karnataka are a few of the best places to enjoy this exhilarating activity.
3. Heli-skiing in the Himalayas
Take off on an exhilarating helicopter ride amongst the dramatic Himalayan peaks before skiing down the most isolated patches of mountainous terrain. Gain a bird’s eye view of the untouched slopes on this hair-raising adventure trip in India tailor-made for avid skiers.
- Best time to Heli-ski: December – February (winter) when the Himalayas receive the greatest amount of snowfall.
- Tip: The slopes of a heli-skiing trip typically have deeper and more powdery snow. This requires wider skis for an easier time navigating the terrain.
Ever since hosting the Paragliding World Cup in 2015, India has become one of the world’s leading paragliding destinations. With spectacular views of snow-capped mountains and fertile valleys, this adventure tour in India is a paradise for those hoping to soar like a bird.
- Best time to paraglide: February – June (late winter through to summer) and September – November (fall) to avoid flying during the monsoon season.
- Tip: Take a learning course from a certified instructor to practice the proper launching, turning and landing techniques before attempting to fly by yourself.
5. Trek in the Himalayas
A hiking adventure through the awe-inspiring Himalayan peaks is a spiritual journey like no other. From the Buddhist monasteries of Markha Valley to the legendary vistas of the Kuari Pass Trek, there is an abundance of life-changing natural scenery and cultural experiences.
- Best time for trekking: March – May (summer) to see beautiful wildflowers in bloom and October – November (fall) for clear skies and to avoid the monsoon season.
- Tip: Strategically pack your rucksack before you leave to prevent straining your back, but make sure it includes all the essentials to stay warm during your trek. Ensure you have room for removable layers and research the temperature of your trek to pack the appropriate clothing.