About Chulu West
Standing at a height of 6419 m the Chulu West Peak lies in the Annapurna region of Nepal. There are two Chulu Peaks: Chulu East and Chulu West – Chulu West being the more popular for climbing.
The summit of Chulu West will provide you with magnificent views of Himalayan giants such as Dhaulagiri, Nilgiri, and Annapurna I. First climbed in 1952 by a Japanese expedition Chulu West is usually climbed as a nice addition to trekking the Annapurna circuit. For most of the trip,you’ll stay in guesthouses or lodges. However, during the actual ascent, you will need to set up camping tents.
Climbing the Chulu West is fairly challenging, and requires a lot of fitness and stamina. After the initial drive to Khudi from Kathmandu, you begin your trek through the Manang valley, one of the highest valleys in the world. The trek to the base camp features majestic landscapes and uniquely mixed cultures. Once you reach Chulu Base Camp you will first spend some time getting acclimatized, and then start climbing. The ascent to the summit takes 3 days. You return via the Thorong-La Pass through Muktinath and finally reach Jomsom.
The Chulu West Peak is usually climbed in spring (Mid March to May) or autumn (mid September to November). At least some mountaineering experience is necessary for this peak, which means if you’re just starting your mountaineering adventures, you should consider easier peaks such as Yala Peak or Island Peak before attempting Chulu West.
This peak is an excellent climb for experienced mountaineers and adventurous amateurs, who have previous experience with ice axes, crampons, and ropes.
Chulu West - Quick facts
- Climb Difficulty: Little Difficult
- Climb Duration: 20-24 Days
- Max altitude: 6419 Meters
- Accommodation: Lodges and Camping
- Transport To/From Climb: Flight
- Best Season: Mar-May, Sep-Nov
Chulu West - Safety considerations
All trekking agencies available at Bookmundi.com take safety seriously and are assessed on their safety standards after every trek, via trekkers’ feedback. The trekking agencies will therefore go through safety procedures with you during your pre-trek meeting.
Chulu West - Itinerary
The below is a sample itinerary. It may vary slightly depending on the final trekking agency you choose to go with:
- The trip starts in Kathmandu from where a drive is made to Besisahar, the starting point of the trip.
- The first few days you will be trekking via the magnificent Annapurna Circuit enroute to Chulu West Base Camp at an altitude of 4,900 m.
- The next 4-6 days are spent acclimizing and reaching the peak summit.
- After summitting Chulu West you will over the next few days be heading to Thorong Phedi, be crossing the infamous Annapurna Circuit pass, and finally end in Jomsom, where the transport back to Kathmandu will start.
Trekking Seasons In Nepal
Health And Safety While Trekking
Trekking And Climbing Equipment Needed