India in April: Hot Weather and Clear Skies
- 159 views
Exploring India in April sees the mercury continue to rise as the summer season kicks in. This is when sightseeing across the northern parts of the country becomes uncomfortable due to the blazing summer sun. However, head for destinations like Goa, Mumbai, and Kerala and you might encounter a light rain. The upside? Hotels offer off-season prices and highlights across northern India are practically empty. Now is an excellent time to track Bengal tigers in Central India, go island hopping in the Andaman, or cool off in the Himalayas.
India Weather in April
When visiting India in April, expect hot temperatures and rare showers in most places. It is sizzling in Rajasthan and cities along the Golden Triangle during this month, with Delhi recording highs of over 37°C. Chennai and Kolkata also see similar temperatures.
Down south, Kerala, Goa, and Mumbai feature highs of around 32°C with a few rain showers. If you are planning to go temple-hopping, start your adventures early to avoid the afternoon heat. In the northern Himalayas, the weather is warm and comfortable; this is an excellent month for mountain biking, trekking, and paragliding.
For a seasonal overview, read our article on the best time to visit India.
Weather in India in April - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||18||23||18||36||39||37||34||33||33||31||27||21|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||7||11||15||22||26||27||27||26||24||19||13||8|
|Avg Daily (°F)||64.4||73.4||64.4||96.8||102.2||98.6||93.2||91.4||91.4||87.8||80.6||69.8|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||44.6||51.8||59||71.6||78.8||80.6||80.6||78.8||75.2||66.2||55.4||46.4|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||23||18||13||8||13||74||180||173||117||10||3||10|
Why Visit India in April
While many detest the idea of traveling to India in April, visitors heading for the country during this time of year will be rewarded with the benefits of traveling during the low season. In addition to discovering often-crowded destinations when few tourists are around, there are a few other reasons why you should book your flight for India in April.
- Clear skies: Rain showers are rare in April, so you can rest assured of your travel plans. This is especially true for destinations like Kota, Nashik, and Rajkot, which do not receive any rainfall at all.
- Off-season rates: Budget travelers rejoice. Thanks to low demand and fewer tourists, April is the cheapest month to fly to India. In addition, you will get low-season deals and discounts on accommodations and tours.
- Wildlife watching: As vegetation goes dry and the water supply becomes erratic, Bengal tigers withdraw from hiding and are easier to spot. Take this time to visit central India’s famous wildlife reserves such as Bandhavgarh National Park.
- Himalayan adventures: Much more pleasant weather conditions mean that the Himalayas are a popular destination in April. With the snow melting, this is the perfect time to participate in outdoor sports like mountain biking, paragliding, or whitewater rafting.
- Intriguing celebrations: April in India hosts several exciting festivals. Celebrate Chaitra Navratri in Rajasthan with thousands of sacred rats or watch devotees dressed in vibrant clothing sacrifice chickens in Kerala’s Bharani Festival.
Where to go and what to do
The best places to visit in India during this month are destinations with spots to cool off while the sun blazes in full force. With mostly pleasant weather, the Himalayas steal the spotlight this month. Visit Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, Arunachal, or Uttarkhand for a breezy atmosphere and enjoy exploring quiet Buddhist monasteries and magnificent chapels. You can also ride a toy train in Darjeeling, home to verdant tea plantations.
Not afraid of the heat? You will find plenty of things to do in India, especially in the central region. With more tiger safaris in the nature reserves of this part of the country, national parks are a must-visit during this time of year. It is hot and humid in South India during April, but a trip to Kerala, with its breezy tea plantations, rainforests, and backwaters, will make you feel refreshed. For a much-needed dip in the sea, the beach destinations of Varkala, Marari, and Goa are excellent choices. Create the perfect itinerary by finding out how many days to spend in India.
What to bring
April’s choking heat can leave you sapped with energy, so it is essential to bring appropriate summer clothes. Loose clothing is a must, as tight, restrictive clothes can make you feel wet and sticky because of humidity. Opt for natural fabrics like cotton, silk, or linen.
Do not let April’s sweltering temperatures discourage you from paying a visit to India. This low-season month offers plenty of benefits for travelers willing to risk it. Lower costs, fewer crowds, and very little rain create the perfect setting for exploration. Add to that the wildlife-watching opportunities during this time of year and you are sure to have a memorable vacation. Ready to start planning your vacation? Contact our local travel experts who can help you with a tailor-made trip to India. Alternatively, you can check our India tours in April.