JANJanAvg Daily: 21 °C 70 °F Avg Nightly: 5 °C 41 °FAvg Rainfall: 10 mm
FEBFebAvg Daily: 22 °C 72 °F Avg Nightly: 6 °C 43 °FAvg Rainfall: 20 mm
MARMarAvg Daily: 24 °C 75 °F Avg Nightly: 7 °C 45 °FAvg Rainfall: 10 mm
APRAprAvg Daily: 25 °C 77 °F Avg Nightly: 10 °C 50 °FAvg Rainfall: 20 mm
MAYMayAvg Daily: 25 °C 77 °F Avg Nightly: 11 °C 52 °FAvg Rainfall: 30 mm
JUNJunAvg Daily: 24 °C 75 °F Avg Nightly: 12 °C 54 °FAvg Rainfall: 40 mm
JULJulAvg Daily: 22 °C 72 °F Avg Nightly: 12 °C 54 °FAvg Rainfall: 60 mm
AUGAugAvg Daily: 23 °C 73 °F Avg Nightly: 12 °C 54 °FAvg Rainfall: 40 mm
SEPSepAvg Daily: 23 °C 73 °F Avg Nightly: 12 °C 54 °FAvg Rainfall: 90 mm
OCTOctAvg Daily: 23 °C 73 °F Avg Nightly: 10 °C 50 °FAvg Rainfall: 20 mm
NOVNovAvg Daily: 22 °C 72 °F Avg Nightly: 7 °C 45 °FAvg Rainfall: 20 mm
DECDecAvg Daily: 20 °C 68 °F Avg Nightly: 5 °C 41 °FAvg Rainfall: 10 mm
Mexico is home to some of the greatest things in the world - tequila, tacos, Frida Kahlo - the list goes on and on. The country has endless amounts of adventure to offer - from the ruins of the Aztecs, to contemporary Spanish traditions. Plan a holiday this year, and explore the volcanoes, seas, and cities of Mexico. All you have to do is find out when to visit Mexico. The weather in Mexico is wonderful the year round, but there are some areas which might experience rains. Read on to find out how you can plan your trip accordingly.
- High Season: December - April
- Low Season: September - November
- All Seasons: July - August (fall), September - November (monsoons), December - April (spring), May - June (summer)
- The best time to visit Mexico is between December and April, when the sun is high in the sky, and there is almost no rain.
- July to August is also a good season to visit, as the summer heat would have waned away, but the summer vacation crowds might be too high for some people.
- May to June and September to November are both low seasons in Mexico. The summer temperatures can get stiflingly high, and September to November sees a lot of rain and hurricanes.
Holidaying in Mexico is an experience of a lifetime. No matter what kind of adventurer you are, and what you’re expecting from the country, it will always surprise you. Whether you’re a history buff who wants to visit the Mayan villages, or an adventurer who wants to trek the volcanoes, there is a best time to visit Mexico for everybody. Once you have figured out when to visit Mexico, nothing can stop you!
The months of December to April comprise of the high season. The skies are clear, the seas are warm, and the mountain paths and smaller villages become more accessible. If you want to escape the harshness of winter, this is the best destination for you. July to August is the second best time to visit Mexico. The summer heat starts wearing off, and the rains are still scattered. This is the holiday season, so there will be a lot of crowds. Expect popular destinations like Cancun, and Cabo might be rather crowded during this period.
July to August — Fall Season / Good Season
July and August are the beginning of the monsoon season in Mexico City. You can expect some afternoon showers here and there - but the weather is still ideally warm (and days that are too hot are cooled down by the afternoon showers). Most of the rains in this period are concentrated on the Pacific Coast (around Acapulco, and Puerto Vallarta).
- Avg. Temperature: 54 – 75° F / 12 – 24° C (in Mexico City)
- Rainfall: 40 – 60 mm
- Season: Fall
- Highlights: This is an ideal time to visit the Mayan Riviera, when the cool showers make the temperatures rather pleasant and bearable. This is the best time to visit Mexico for those who want to hit the cities, like Mexico City, Oaxaca. The Yucatan Peninsula is worth a visit during July - August, as the crowds would be lower, and the weather is rather pleasant. Mexico City also celebrates the Fiesta del Virgen del Carmen, so if you want to experience something authentically Mexican, this is a must-see!
September to November — Monsoon Season / Low Season
This is the low season in Mexico, and the weather in Mexico becomes rather wet and humid. The beaches are not that pleasant during this season, and further inland, you will have to deal with a lot of mosquitos. This is the hurricane season, so please do check with the weather channels before making any booking during this season. Bookings for accommodation and travel would be much lower at this point.
- Avg. Temperature: 59 – 64° F / 15 – 18° C (in Mexico City)
- Rainfall: 20 – 90 mm
- Season: Monsoon
- Highlights: There are a number of exciting festivals throughout Mexico between September and November. The Mexican Independence Day falls on 15th-16th September. The entire country celebrates - so there is no wrong place for you to be. The Cancun Jazz Festival happens over the Labour Day weekend, but keep an eye out for storm warnings before you go. The most exciting thing for you to during this season would be the legendary Dia de los Muertos, which happens in November. The costumes, the parades, the drinks, Mexico City is definitely the place to be for this event!
December to April — Spring / High Season
This is the peak season for those who want to know when to visit Mexico. The weather in Mexico is warm, and there is little to no rain around the entire country. The winter will be rather cold in Copper Canyon, and the mountain areas, so do remember to pack your sweaters. The peak season will be rather crowded, so if you want to go to Acapulco, or Cancun, it will be wise for you to book your hotel rooms well in advance, before they get all booked out.
- Avg. Temperature: 41 – 75° F / 5 – 24° C (in Mexico City)
- Rainfall: 10 – 20 mm
- Season: Spring
- Highlights: You can explore all of Mexico, with ease, during this season. The lack of rains makes the cities inland more accessible. All the tourist locations like Teotihuacán and Tula, the Mayan cities of Uxmal, Chichén Itzá, would be open and bustling. If you’re a beach bum, the weather in Mexico is perfect for a good tanning, and the waters are right for surfing. Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco have some world-class beaches and resorts for your enjoyment. If you want to do something different, between January and March, you can head to the coast to watch the whales (humpbacks, blue, and gray) migrate.
May to June — Summer / Low Season
The summer weather in Mexico can get rather warm, and dry. Towards June, the rains start in a number of places. This is off-season throughout the country, as the crowds have not started arriving yet, so you get to enjoy lower prices, and fewer crowds at the beach (if you are willing to put up with the heat).
- Avg. Temperature: 54 – 75° F / 12 – 24° C (in Mexico City)
- Rainfall: 30 – 40 mm
- Season: Summer
- Highlights: This is a good time to visit Copper Canyon, at the mountains. The weather here is way more pleasant than at the coast. Further inland, in Mexico City, the weather is rather bearable, and all the accommodation options would be much cheaper than in the high season. If you want to visit Cancun on a budget (and avoid all the high season and spring break crowds), most of the resorts will be throwing their doors open at a fraction of the cost during this season.