- 844 views
- ~ mins read
Embrace the transition from summer to autumn as nature creates incredible sights in Chile in March. This is a perfect time to catch glimpses of changing leaves and engage in grape harvesting in the wine valleys. Go hiking in the Andes, embark on excursions in the Atacama Desert, or visit popular harvest festivals such as Fiesta de la Vendimia. For some water activities, head towards Easter IslaWaterfall in the foreground of the Osrono Volcano within Lake District.nd or the Lake District. There is no shortage of attractions and activities in Chile in March. What is more, you will be favored by fewer tourist crowds and affordable rates. A trip to Chile in March is sure to be epic.
- From USA
Generally, the weather in Chile in March is cool due to the onset of autumn. The average high temperature is still moderately hot though at 24°C. The average low temperature is 11°C. But keep in mind, Chile has a diverse landscape, so the climate varies from one part of the country to another. For instance, in the north, like the Atacama Desert, you can expect dry weather throughout. Moving to the central regions of Chile, travelers can expect a Mediterranean climate. Down south in Valdivia, the weather is moderately cold and the mercury drops further low in areas like Punta Arenas, which has an average temperature of about 10°C in March.
For a seasonal overview, check out our guide on the best time to visit Chile.
Weather in Chile in March - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||30||29||27||23||18||15||15||16||18||22||25||28|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||11||11||9||7||5||3||3||4||5||7||9||11|
|Avg Daily (°F)||86||85||81||74||65||59||59||61||65||72||77||83|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||52||52||49||45||41||38||38||40||41||45||49||52|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||10||10||10||10||50||40||80||40||20||10||10||10|
|Avg Daily (°C)||29||27||23|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||11||9||7|
|Avg Daily (°F)||85||81||74|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||52||49||45|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||10||10||10|
March is a fantastic month to visit Chile, as the country ushers in cool colorful autumn. Here are some reasons why it is a good idea to plan your trip to Chile in March:
- Fewer crowds: By March in Chile, summertime crowds have started to thin out. Locals return to their regular routines following their February vacations, and as a result, beaches and Lake District are a little less busy. This is also a great time to visit otherwise crowded places like Patagonia and Easter Island.
- Affordable rates: As tourist numbers start to fall, hotels and airlines in Chile offer incredible discounts. Travelers can buy tour packages and find accommodation in Chile at much cheaper rates around this time.
- Outdoor activities: Chile's weather in March is ideal to hit the great outdoors-an exciting prospect for thrill seekers. Dry and less windy Southern Patagonia has ideal hiking conditions this month. This is also a perfect time to travel to the Atacama Desert.
- Events and festivals: Lollapalooza, a popular music festival, is held in Chile every year in the middle of March in Santiago's Parque O'Higgins. The musical extravaganza features up to 60 bands and singers. Children can also participate in the nearby Kidzapalooza event.
- Wine harvesting: As summer ends in the southern hemisphere, Chile starts celebrating Vendimia, one of its most significant customs. These celebrations of the wine harvest are held all around Chile's wine region and usually include frape-stomping, regional music, and wine tasting. Be sure to check out Santa Cruz in Chile's Colchagua Valley and Casablanca's Plaza de Armas.
Vina del Mar, Santiago, Temuco, and Patagonia are some of the best places to visit in Chile in March. Set off on your journey from Vina del Mar, a seaside city of pristine beaches and pumping nightlife. Surf the waters of Renaca Beach, explore the popular park Quinta Vergara, and tour the bygone Wulff Castle. Sandboard at the Concon Dunes and greet the sea lions at the Playa Caleta Portales. Enjoy the sweeping views of the city from San Cristobal Hill in Santiago, the capital of Chile. While at it, taste some of the world's finest wines at Maipo Valley and savor a variety of fish specialties at the Central Market.
Head to the Torres del Paine National Park to spot wildlife, especially the elusive puma. Amble through the lush, protected reserve of Cerro Nielol Natural Monument in Temuco and visit the famous stadium, Estadio German Becker. Be sure to drop by Feria Pinto, a farmers' market with fresh fruits, vegetables, species, and cheese. Next, advance into Patagonia, hike among penguins at the Penguin Colony, navigate the Beagle Channel and tour the Tierra del Fuego National Park on a canoe. If you are an adventure enthusiast, skydiving, white-water rafting, kayaking, scuba diving, and kite surfing are some of the many things to do in Chile in March.
The start of the fall season in Chile brings with it some stunning natural vistas and events and festivities. March is a great month to visit Chile, especially the Lake District and Patagonia, as the summer crowds start to thin out around this time, offering visitors the peace and quiet to explore these beautiful parts of the country. Travel and accommodation rates are also cheaper, on account of low tourist numbers. By visiting Chile in March, you are guaranteed a refreshing and adventurous getaway amidst the colorful autumn backdrop.
Making a great vacation itinerary can be challenging, so why not ask our travel specialists for assistance? With our customizable trip to Chile, we take your requirements, work our magic, and create the perfect trip for you. Our article on how many days to spend in Chile will also come in handy.