Costa Rica in February: Unforgettable Adventures, Amazing Weather
- 824 views
A few months into its dry season, a trip to Costa Rica in February offers plenty of sunshine. Sun lovers will find this month to be the perfect time to visit the country whose beaches and rainforests are the main draw. In addition to this, a flurry of festivals takes place across the country in February, beckoning even more travelers to visit. Discover the highlights of Costa Rica while the sun is up, especially its nature reserves that are located along the Pacific coast where the weather is at its driest.
Costa Rica Weather in February
The weather across much of Costa Rica in February is dry and sunny, making the country ripe for exploration. The average temperature in the country varies according to elevation. Generally speaking, you can expect temperatures in the central highlands and the northern Caribbean to reach around 29°C, while the northern Pacific coast records highs of 35°C. With that being said, beaches across the Nicoya Peninsula are one of the country’s main attractions during this month. Not so keen on scorching heat?
For more information, read our travel article on the best time to visit Costa Rica.
Weather in Costa Rica in February - Rainfall and Temperatures
|Avg Daily (°C)||26||29||30||30||29||28||28||28||28||15||26||26|
|Avg Nightly (°C)||17||18||18||19||18||18||18||18||18||18||18||18|
|Avg Daily (°F)||78.8||84.2||86||86||84.2||82.4||82.4||82.4||82.4||59||78.8||78.8|
|Avg Nightly (°F)||62.6||64.4||64.4||66.2||64.4||64.4||64.4||64.4||64.4||64.4||64.4||64.4|
|Avg Rainfall (mm)||10||10||10||60||140||170||180||190||240||220||160||50|
Why Visit Costa Rica in February
From warm weather to splendid marine life, there are several reasons why traveling to Costa Rica in February is a great idea for travelers. Plus, even though it is a high season in the country, you are bound to encounter fewer crowds than in January, making your exploration a little easier.
It is true that traveling to Costa Rica during this month means that costs will be on the higher side, just like in January, with hotel availability posing a challenge, especially in Puntarenas, where a massive, week-long carnival takes place. Regardless, February is a spectacular month to visit. Below are some reasons why.
- Fantastic weather: Planning a summer escapade? Costa Rica in February offers clear blue skies and very little rain, especially along the Pacific coast. You can take a beach tour where you can head to Guanacaste’s beaches, especially Tamarindo, Playa Hermosa, and Flamingo steal the spotlight during this month.
- Crowds are just right: It is a high season across Costa Rica in February. But locals are heading back to work. Therefore, this month guarantees just the right amount of crowds – not too few that spots become desolate and not too much that you have to jostle for space.
- Kitesurfing season: Kitesurfing is a popular pastime in Costa Rica all year round, but February offers optimal winds for surfing the waves. The Papagayo winds that sweep across the country from November to April make northern Guanacaste a kitesurfing playground.
- Marine life: The frigid waters of polar regions draw humpback whales to warmer seas, with these creatures considering Costa Rica their home for February. For optimal chances of whale-spotting, head for the Gulf of Dulce or the Osa Peninsula.
- Festivities: The Puntarenas Carnival, often dubbed the “queen of carnivals in Costa Rica” takes place early to mid-February in the port town of Puntarenas. Expect massive float parades, concerts, food, and free-flowing beer for an entire week!
Where to go and what to do
There is a long list of places to visit in Costa Rica, but for February, the country’s Pacific belt hogs the limelight. This region is studded with white sand beaches, most of which are bucket-list destinations.
Do not miss out on the spectacular coasts of Manuel Antonio, Nosara, Tamarindo, and Playa Flamingo. Puntarenas, located on the Gulf of Nicoya, plays host to the Puntarenas Carnival this month, so consider paying a visit to this place for massive parties, parades, and concerts.
Similarly, the northern regions of the country hold their own, with lush forests and thriving wildlife. Go canyoning in Arenal Volcano National Park or explore the wildlife-filled jungles of Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve.
There are plenty of things to do in the southern parts of Costa Rica as well. Corcovado National Park, located in the Osa Peninsula, is home to a menagerie of exotic animals, including jaguars, monkeys, and scarlet macaws.
With great weather conditions across the country, you will find plenty of things to do in Costa Rica in February. Less rain means more chances of embarking on outdoor activities like hiking, surfing, and wildlife spotting.
However, high seasons have their drawbacks as well. February’s popularity means that you may have to contend with crowds in some places or deal with more expensive accommodation rates. Hotel availability may also pose a problem in February, especially in tourist-heavy places like Tamarindo and Arenal.
If you plan well in advance, traveling to Costa Rica in February offers a great chance to explore the country. You can also create a tailor-made vacation to Costa Rica by getting in touch with our local travel experts.
Book one of our Costa Rica tours in February.
Other Related articles:
Costa Rica in January
Costa Rica in March
Costa Rica Private Tours