- Bicycle tour
- Kayaking and canoeing
- duration 12 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Trek and bike in the Costa Rica highlands
- Visit remote Indigenous communities
- Experience exotic wildlife and the Cloud Forest
- Raft the exhilarating Pacuare River through spectacular canyons
A crossing of Costa Rica from the Pacific coast to the Caribbean Sea under your own steam. An adventure high on the wish list of active adventurers keen to take on the challenge of traversing Costa Rica under their own steam. Our crossing takes us on bike, foot, raft and kayak across this spectacular natural wilderness through farmlands, foothills and mountainous regions reaching the peaks of the Central Highlands. The trails are often slippery and with several river crossings. We encounter indigenous settlements deep in the cloud forest and hope to glimpse rare wildlife and birdlife in this pristine tropical rainforest. The views and terrain vary greatly as we traverse the mountainous backbone of Costa Rica. Our journey will take us into the depths of the Pacuare River on one of the world's classic whitewater experiences, where we undertake an exhilarating rafting trip with class 2-4 rapids through a series of spectacular canyons. In between the powerful rapids there is time to absorb your superb surroundings and the tropical rainforest. We leave the rapids and gorges behind as we ease our way by sea kayak along a much slower moving section of the river, through banana plantations to our final goal, the Caribbean coast.
Day 1 : Arrive in San Jose
Day 2 : Manuel Antonio
Day 3 : Cycling the Pacific Coast and trekking the Central Costa Rica Mountains
Day 4 : Cycle to Santa Maria De Dota
Day 5 : Cycling across the Continental Divide
Day 6 : Cycling and trekking in Tapanti National Wildlife Refuge
Day 7 : Cycling to the Pacuare River and whitewater rafting
Day 8 : El Nido del Tigre on the Pacuare
Day 9 : Rafting on the Pacuare River
Day 10 : Cycling & Sea kayak to the Caribbean Sea and transfer to Cahuita
Day 11 : Relax on the Caribbean and transfer to San Jose
Day 12 : In San Jose, trip concludes
- Good quality hotel accommodation
- 11 breakfasts, 9 lunches and 8 dinners
- Airport transfers (days 1 and 12 only)
- Private transport
- Support vehicle on majority of bike sections (except for 1.5 hrs between Santa Maria and the Orosi Valley)
- Experienced guides
- All group camping equipment
- Summer sleeping bag & sleeping mat
- Rafting gear and instruction
- Kayaking gear and instruction
- Mountain Bikes (bicycle helmets are not included)
- International flights
- Airport and departure taxes
- Bicycle helmet
- Christmas, New Year and Easter supplement (please ask our staff for details of this small peak season surcharge)
- Meals not indicated
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc
- Tips & gratuities
- Travel Insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 108+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Costa Rica Traverse tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 02 September 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 02 September 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Traverse tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Costa Rica Traverse tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.