- duration 21 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- A rare opportunity to climb Cholo (6097m)
- Hike up the Thame valley and cross the Renjo La (5340m)
- Spectacular mountain views deep in the Everest region
- Climb with a highly experienced team and capture the spirit of adventure, with indelible memories forged among the highest mountains on earth
A superb expedition to Cholo (6097m/20,003ft), a rarely climbed but highly desirable Himalayan objective, located deep within the Everest region.. In a spectacular corner of the Everest region lies Cholo (6097m/20,003ft), one of the twin peaks of Abi Himal. A mecca for mountaineers, this is a dramatic region where several of the world's highest mountains, including Everest and Cho Oyu, dominate the skyline. Building on our success in 2016, World Expeditions have put together an exciting itinerary to climb Cholo, a rarely climbed peak due to its hidden but highly dramatic location just south of the giant south face of Cho Oyu, at the very northern end of the Gokyo valley. We will access the peak over the dramatically situated Renjo La, with the Gokyo valley stretching out before us and views into Tibet, to the wild upper Bhote Kosi. Cholo sees very few expeditions and it is incredibly unique to have such an off the beaten path experience close to some of the main trekking routes in the Khumbu region. For an experienced and motivated mountaineer, this expedition will push you to new heights in one of the world's premier climbing destinations. This mountain offers the total package in terms of mountaineering in the Nepal Himalaya, with at times technical climbing justly rewarded. The view from the summit is hands down the best mountain view in the Himalaya, with breathtaking vistas spanning 360 degrees to across the whole region. You can gaze upon both the North and South Col of Everest which is very rare, along with Lhotse, Makalu and Cho Oyu. The secret is out and Cholo is set to become one of the most sought after objectives for mountaineers looking to go to the next level. This is a trip which truly captures the spirit of adventure and will leave you with indelible memories of adventure among the highest mountains on earth.
Day 1 : Join Kathmandu
Day 2 : In Kathmandu
Day 3 : Fly to Lukla, trek to Ghat (2800m). Walk approx 2-3 hours.
Day 4 : Trek to Namche Bazaar (3400m)
Day 5 : In Namche Bazaar, rest and acclimatise
Day 6 : Trek to Thame (3800m)
Day 7 : Trek to Lungden (4400m)
Day 8 : In Lungden, rest and acclimatise
Day 9 : Trek to Yak Kharka (4900m)
Day 10 : Cross the Renjo La (5340m) to Renjo High Camp (5100m)
Day 11 : To Abi Himal Base Camp (5340m)
Day 12 : Abi Himal Base Camp
Day 13 : Cholo high camp (5650m)
Day 14-15 : Climb Cholo (6097m)
Day 16 : Contingency Day
Day 17 : Trek to Phortse
Day 18 : Trek to Monjo
Day 19 : Return trek to Lukla
Day 20 : Fly Lukla to Kathmandu
Day 21 : In Kathmandu, trip concludes
- Airport transfers if arriving on day 1 and 21 or if you booked pre/post tour accommodation at the Radisson through World Expeditions
- Good quality accommodation in Kathmandu
- 20 breakfasts, 18 lunches and 18 dinners including all meals on trek valued at US$720
- Return flights to/from Lukla included
- Private transportation
- World Expeditions mountaineering leader
- Fully supported expedition
- Group medical kit
- High altitude chamber and satellite phone
- The use of a World Expeditions trek pack which includes a quality sleeping bag, down or fibre fill jacket and insulated mat (valued at over US$500)
- Souvenir World Expeditions kit bag
- The use of a climbing pack including ice axe, crampons & harness (if required)
- All park entrance fees, trekking and climbing permits
- Porters to carry all group equipment
- Insurance, protective clothing, food and shelter for porters
- Lunch & dinner in Kathmandu
- Bottled water, aerated & alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc.
- International flights
- Airport and departure taxes
- Travel Insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 166+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Cholo Expedition tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 02 September 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 02 September 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Cholo Expedition tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Cholo Expedition tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.
How much money do I need to bring with me?
Your personal budget obviously depends on your spending habits and what is included in your trip cost. If accommodation is included, but meals are not, we would suggest that you bring around 30 USD per day per person for meals. Having a hot shower or charging your device sometimes costs extra. There are also sometimes small crafts/souvenirs to buy along the trekking route which you may want to bring extra money for. Also, consider whether you would be staying in Kathmandu or Pokhara before or after your trek.
Is quarantine in Nepal in effect for arriving visitors?
In response to the current Covid situation, rules for arriving visitors may change frequently and sometimes without notice. Please check the government travel pages and advisories of your home country and the official website of the Nepal Tourism board here.
- What happens if someone gets altitude sickness, does the rest of the group continue on?
- How does it work with a porter?
Is a visa on arrival available?
Typically, yes. However, in response to the current Covid situation, rules for arriving visitors may change frequently and sometimes without notice. It may be necessary to obtain a tourist visa in your own country before travel. For updated information on visas, please check the Nepal Tourism Board and the Government of Nepal Immigration websites.