- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Walking the Camino Norte from San Sebastian to Bilbao through Basque country
- Visiting swish seaside San Sebastian / Donostia, a 'foodie' paradise
- Stunning scenery from the coast to mountain villages
- Enjoying the camaraderie of fellow hikers and pilgrims
Follow one of the original pilgrimage routes to Santiago between San Sebastian and Bilbao. 'El Camino del Norte' originates from the 9th Century and was one of the original Camino routes for pilgrims walking to Santiago de Compostela. Sheltered from the rest of the Muslim dominated Iberian Peninsula by the Picos de Europa and Cordillera Cantabrica, it was considered the safest route for Christian pilgrims making their way to the tomb of St James. The full route starts in Irun near the French border and joins the French route at Arzua. This second stage, from chic, gastronomic San Sebastian (Donostia in Basque) follows the Camino Norte through picturesque fishing villages and fertile valleys to the bustling city of Bilbao, home to the iconic Guggenheim Museum. Enjoy a variety of landscapes and architecture, both ancient and modern, while staying in small hotels with local character. The dramatic coastline of the Bay of Biscay and mountain paths make the northern way both challenging and rewarding, whilst the quieter trails offer a great alternative to the more popular French route.
Day 1 : Arrive in San Sebastian/Donostia
Day 2 : Walk via Zarautz to Getaria (5.5hrs, 25km/15.5mi)
Day 3 : Continue along the coast to Deba (6.5hrs, 18km/11.1mi)
Day 4 : Head inland to the mountains and Markina-Xemein (6hrs, 23km/14.2mi)
Day 5 : On to Gernika, famously portrayed by Picasso (6.5hrs, 25km/15.5mi)
Day 6 : Continue to Lezama (5.5hrs, 21km/13mi)
Day 7 : The final stage to Bilbao (3.5hrs, 14km/8.7mi)
Day 8 : Trip concludes Bilbao
- 7 nights in a combination of hotels & farmhouse B&Bs on a twin share basis generally with ensuite facilities
- Information pack including route notes & guidebook per room booked
- 7 breakfasts, 6 dinners (no dinner in Gernika). Continental breakfasts are served and will often consist of breads, spreads, yoghurt, cheese, tea, coffee & juices. Dinner will consist of 3 courses, usually starting with a salad, followed by chicken, red meat, fish or a pasta dish & finishing with a dessert of fruit or cakes.
- Luggage transfer (1 bag of 20kg max pp - additional bags and excess weight will attract a surcharge)
- Emergency hotline
- Pilgrim's Passport
- Travel to San Sebastian/Donostia and from Bilbao
- Dinner on day 5, lunches and drinks daily
- Items of a personal nature
- Entrance fees
- Guide - this is a self guided tour
- Travel insurance
- excess baggage charges - please advise us if you will have more than one bag weighing a max of 20kgs as extra charges will apply for additional pieces of luggage. Please do not tie smaller bags onto your main luggage as we only include one bag and they will be charged as an extra bag. Charges will be higher if not paid when final balance for your trip is due.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 53 today.
- Save US$ 35+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Camino Norte - San Sebastian to Bilbao tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Camino Norte - San Sebastian to Bilbao tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Camino Norte - San Sebastian to Bilbao tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.