- Active and outdoor
- Self-drive or vehicle rental
- duration 10 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 6+ years old
- max group size 3
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Tortuguero: This park is home to the nesting grounds of the green sea turtles, offering spectacular beaches and fantastic opportunities to spot wild animals and birds.
- Arenal: Admire one of the most beautiful volcanoes in the country and its mesmerising park, dotted with trails and rich in wildlife.
- Tamarindo: This busy beach resort is great for a night out, surfing, and exploring the bustling restaurant scene.
Uncover essential Costa Rica during this 10-day exotic adventure. Beginning and ending in the capital, San Jose, this self-drive tour offers you the chance to discover different aspects of this emblematic destination. Visit the most predominant natural areas of Costa Rica, including Arenal Volcano National Park, and the cloud forest of Monteverde. Enjoy an unforgettable excursion in Tortuguero, in a shared shuttle and boat, and spend precious time in mesmerising Tamarindo, one of Costa Rica’s most famous beaches, indulging in the fun surf town atmosphere and getting closer to the inspiring local culture and adventurous spirit. During the trip, keep an eye out for a variety of animals and don’t forget to mingle with the friendly locals for an all-round experience.
Day 1: Arrival San Jose
Day 2: San Jose – Tortuguero (135km – 4 Hrs By Road / 2 Hrs By Boat)
Day 3: Tortuguero National Park
Day 4: Tortuguero – Arenal (210km – 5 Hrs By Road / 2 Hrs By Boat)
Day 5: Arenal Volcano National Park
Day 6: Arenal – Monteverde (60km – 2.5 Hrs By Road / 45 Min By Boat)
Day 7: Monteverde
Day 8: Monteverde – Pacific Coast (190km – 4 Hrs)
Day 9: Pacific Coast
Day 10: Pacific Coast – Depart San Jose (160km – 3 Hrs)
- 9 nights' accommodation
- 9 breakfasts
- 3 lunches on days 2, 3, 4
- 2 dinners on days 2, 3
- Air-conditioned transportation for the arrival transfer on a shared basis, from Juan Santamaria Airport to your first hotel
- Shared land and boat transfers to/from Tortuguero
- Air-conditioned transportation for the departure transfer on a shared basis, from the car rental company offices in San José to the Juan Santamaria Airport
- Second driver
- Tour guides do not accompany guests during transport
- Car rental from day 4
- Unlimited mileage
- Applicable Local taxes (VAT)
- Insurance with No excess
- Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
- Supplemental Liability Coverage (SLC)
- Emergency contact service
- Replacement car in case of accident
- Full-Full petrol rate
- Coverage up to 70.000 USD per person or 175.000 USD per accident
- All activities in Tortuguero except the entrance fee to Tortuguero National Park and optional activities
- Meet and greet on Day 1
- Hotel taxes
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals if not stated explicitly in the programme
- Airport taxes
- Airport porterage
- Optional tours
- International / domestic flight tickets or visa fees and local taxes
- Gratuities for drivers and guides
- Entrance fees for optional activities mentioned in the itinerary
- Damage to a third party or to the hire vehicle due to negligence or inappropriate driving
- Loss or damage to aerials, jack, safety triangles and vests, windscreen, wipers, petrol cap, luggage covers, or any other fixed or mobile component of the vehicle
- Damage to the engine through negligence
- Theft of the vehicle with keys left in the ignition
- Damage caused to the vehicle or to persons through driving under the Influence of alcohol or drugs
- Fines due to breaking traffic laws and regulations during the hire period are the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle. In the event of fine being received there will be an administration charge
- Any extra equipment (GPS, baby seat, etc)
- Petrol deposit 100 USD; refunded when returning full
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 42+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Essential Costa Rica - Package With Guanacaste, Self-drive tour. You can cancel the tour up to 35 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 34 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 28 October 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 28 October 2021, a deposit of 25% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 34 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Essential Costa Rica - Package With Guanacaste, Self-drive tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Essential Costa Rica - Package With Guanacaste, Self-drive tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has implemented smaller group sizes than normal, allowing for more personal space on the vehicles, sights visited, hotels and restaurants.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this trip. Wearing a mask, hand washing and general sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are furthermore regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.