A trip to Medellin is your chance to discover a city whose skyline marries towering-high rises and ragged mountain cliffs, where rich urban life exist comfortably alongside ever-growing industrial sector. Due to the cultural rebirth the city experienced in recent decades, you can rest assured your visit to Medellin will be chock-full of colorful streets, museums, lively clubs and exquisite restaurants.
- Museum of Antioquia is the ideal place to acquaint yourself with the work of famed Colombian artists, such as Fernando Botero and Pedro Nel Gómez. This gorgeous 19th Century edifice also showcases more contemporary pieces.
- Parque Explora is a vast interactive playground and the home of the largest fresh water aquarium in South America. Here, you will also find an intriguing science museum which houses over 300 innovative attractions.
- Arvi Park is an immense ecotourism reserve nestled about 30 kilometers from the center of Medellin. Other than lush cloud forests and diverse wildlife, this sight is also home to the small village of Santa Elena, which dates back to pre-colonial times.
- Nutibara Hill lies at the heart of Aburrá Valley, west of the Medellin River. It contains an interesting replica of a traditional Antioquia small town square.
- Don't forget to visit Guatape (pictured in the banner image at the top), a town in the outskirts of Medellin which serves as a recreation center for the residents and a major tourist attraction.
- The most convenient way to get around Medellin is by metro. If you plan on using the metro as your main means of transport, you might want to consider taking out a Civica Card, which will allow you to purchase tickets at a discounted price.
- If you’re interested in picking up local handicrafts, make sure to visit Mercado de San Alejo, an open-air market at Parque de Bolívar which operates every first Saturday of the month from 8am to 6pm.
- While in Medellin, make sure to try one of its most famous dishes, the bandeja paisa. It consists of meat, eggs, beans, rice, avocado and other delicious goodies, making it a perfect hearty meal after a long day of sightseeing.