- duration 1 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
A perfect wee taster of Scotland - this tour mixes up the seriously stunning beauty of Loch Lomond (the biggest loch or lake in the whole of Britain and inspiration to poets and painters) and The Trossachs National Park, with the savage history of Stirling Castle where kings were murdered, and rebellions started. Once you’ve had your fix of Scottish history you’ll visit the magnificent feat of equine engineering, The Kelpies.
We depart Edinburgh at 8.45am and head west through Scotland’s Central Belt towards the ‘Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond’ – stopping at Balmaha Highland village to soak up the breathtaking, solitary peak of Scotland’s most southerly Munro (a Scottish mountain), Ben Lomond. Stretch your legs on woodland walks, with views of the biggest loch on the British Isles. You can also spot some of the 22 islands within the loch – which are home to an array of creatures including a colony of wallabies!
The afternoon takes you to one of the largest and most significant castles in Scotland, both architecturally and historically. Stirling Castle sits atop Castle Hill and has seen several Scottish Kings and Queens crowned here, including Mary Queen of Scots in 1542. It was also central to William Wallace and Robert the Bruce’s Wars of Independence. Stirling town itself is geographically one of the most significant towns in Scottish history.
On the way home, you’ll have the chance to ‘ooh’, ‘aah’ and, um, ‘nay’, at the world’s largest equine sculptures, the Kelpies. Each 30-metre high horse head sculpture is made from 300 tonnes of structural steel and designed by Scottish sculptor, Andy Scott. After a day full of exploration, we return to Edinburgh early evening where you can chill out in one of the many cosy pubs.
- We guarantee dorm bed accommodation on all our trips. Most hostels have mixed dorms with females and males sharing a room. If you would prefer to stay in a single sex dorm please get in touch with us before your tour and we can request this from the hostels. Single sex dorms cannot be guaranteed and are subject to hostel availability.
- All transport in our famous yellow bus is included.
- Legendary local Guide will lead the way
- Any international flights are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy.
- Meals are not included allowing you to keep your options open and eat according to your budget.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Lochs, Castles and The Kelpies tour. You can cancel the tour up to 49 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 48 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 20 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 20 January 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 48 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lochs, Castles and The Kelpies tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lochs, Castles and The Kelpies tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Other Information
All trips depart from HAGGIS HQ which sits halfway along Edinburgh’s most famous street, the Royal Mile, right in the heart of the Old Town