- Local culture
- Countryside and village visits
- duration 6 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 5+ years old
- max group size 15
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Visit the village of Kampong Phluk and Tonle Sap lake
- Explore the lifestyle of the locals villagers
- See how the community adapts to the seasonal variance of Tonle Sap
Located in the Siem Reap Province of north-central Cambodia, Kampong Phluk is a village that is built on stilts on the lake. Kampong Phluk means "Harbor of the Tusks" in Khmer.
We leave Siem Reap at 8:30 am and travel south/east through small and beautiful villages and rice fields towards the great lake. Depending on the time of year and the water levels, we go as far as we can by road and then take the boats.
We travel the rest of the way by boat into the main village. The village is home to about 3000 people, who are predominately Khmer fishermen. Depending on the time of year, we will either sail through the main street of the village (when the water is high, the road becomes a river) or walk along it in the low water season.
Whichever way we take, it is a great opportunity to see how the rural fishing villagers work, live and go about their daily lives. There are a few schools and many stilted homes towering some 9 meters high to adapt to the changing water levels. It is a lovely and peaceful place to visit anytime of the year. It also gives us a chance to see how a vast majority of Cambodians live as fishermen or farmers and get an insight into their way of life.
From there we transfer to our small boats and row through the flooded forest of Kompong Phluk. We then proceed to the great lake itself and see the small floating village. The community lives and works according to the seasonal variance of the great lake as the actual level of the lake can vary by up to 30 meters every season.
Return back to Siem Reap. End of the tour.
- Tour guide
- Car transfers
- Boat fees
- 500 ml bottle of water
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this product is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.