- duration 9 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Cycle through a pristine mountain landscape and stop in little villages of times long ago
- Discover the hearth of the Cilento National Park
- Visit the impressive Greek temples in Paestum
- Cycle through typical medieval hamlets, a mozzarella farm and worldfamous cultural sites
The region of Campania has been known as a paradise on earth since ancient times. The Greeks built some of their most impressive temples here and under the Romans it became known as ‘Campania Felix’, or the Happy Land. When travelling through this region it is easy to be overwhelmed by the wealth of cultural and natural attractions, from the great city of Naples to the well-known Costiera Amalfitana, with its towering cliffs and picturesque coves.
But Campania’s real secret is located south of Salerno. Here, the coastline bulges out into an expanse of mountainous landmass known as the Cilento, now one of Italy’s biggest National Parks, with World Heritage listing.
This tour brings you into the real ‘Heart of the Cilento’, from ancient Paestum up to Monte Stella, and along the pristine Cilento coast towards the impressive Alburni Mountains. Inland, the Cilento is largely undisturbed by the 21st century and you will encounter few other tourists along your way. You will cycle past world-famous cultural sites, through pristine natural areas and dreamy coastal scenery. Your trip will take you on small country roads passing through rough mountain scenery, as well as attractive countryside, with vineyards and olive groves.
The first few days you will stay close to the coast, only occasionally reaching some small hamlets on the foothills further inland. You will go past the archaeological site of Paestum on your way to a genuine mozzarella farm and climb up to some nice viewpoints on the coastal plain. Further on you will cycle around Monte Stella, dotted with several typical medieval hamlets, and continue along the coast towards the tiny fishing villages of Acciaroli and Pioppi to the Greek site of Velia.
You then turn inland and discover the rolling foothills around lovely Ceraso before climbing up along the Calore River to the hamlet of Piaggine, located in the very heart of the Cilento National Park. Here you’ll visit some of the nicest medieval villages in the area, where the traditional way of life is still evident. And you’ll enjoy visiting some of the Cilento’s greatest (but unknown) cultural treasures, like St. Michael’s cave church in Sant’Angelo a Fasanella, the ruins of Roscigno Vecchia and the castle of Laurino. All connected by great well-paved and quiet roads, ideal for cycling.
Your route back to Paestum takes you along great panoramic roads on the slopes of the Alburni Mountains.
We wish you a lot of success for the future and hope to travel soon again through Genius Loci!!”
Day 1: Arrival
Day 2: Over the plain and through the foothills of Paestum
Day 3: From Paestum to San Marco di Castellabate
Day 4: Around Monte Stella: round trip from San Marco di Caste
Day 5: From San Marco di Castellabate to Ceraso
Day 6: Roundtrip from La Petrosa : Ceraso, Pisciotta and Ascea
Day 7: From La Petrosa through the rough inland of the Cilento
Day 8: Sacco, Roscigno Vecchia, Castelcività
Day 9: End of the tour
- 8 Breakfasts and 5 Dinners
- Accommodation: 3 nights Paestum, 2 nights San Marco di Castellabate, 2 nights Ceraso, 1 night Piaggine; all nights in good 3-star hotels and agriturismos
- Extensive route notes, with a description of the route & tourist information
- Maps at 1: 50.000 scale (or better), GPS waypoints and tracks (optional)
- 24/7 assistance
- Luggage transport
- Private transfers as specified
- Single supplement
- Departure taxes & visas
- Travel Insurance
- Drinks and meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Optional additional tours or activities
- Items of personal nature
- Bicycle rental (available on request)
- Earn US$ 33+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
20% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure, but the 20% deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 20% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.