- 711 views
- ~ mins read
From the vast stretches of the Andes, to the thick, lush rainforests of the Amazon, to the majestic peaks, Bolivia has everything to offer. It is a country of ancient culture, and mind-blowing natural beauty. It is a bucket list destination — and it is a country you will keep returning to. The weather in Bolivia can be rather extreme, but it is a country that can be visited any time during the year — you just have to find out what is the best place to go during that time. To find out when to visit Bolivia, read on!
- Theo van der Linden
- High Season: May - October
- Low Season: November - April
- All Seasons: May - October (dry season), November - April (monsoon)
- The best time to visit Bolivia is between May and October, when the weather is dry.
- November to April is the summer and monsoon season, so the weather in Bolivia will be wet and humid. Major parts of the country become inaccessible during this period.
- If you want to visit the Andes, you can do so in the dry season. Certain parts of the Andes, like Altiplano are beautiful to visit during summer as well.
Bolivia is a country of climate extremes. Of course, the weather in Bolivia will be impacted by which part of the country you are in, as much as it is affected by the month. That being said, there is a clear-cut difference between both the seasons.
The dry season is winter - between May to October. This is the season where there is little to no rainfall, making it easy for people to visit every part of the country. Between July and August, the temperature goes down significantly, especially in the highlands so make sure you pack your warm clothes. Towards the lowlands, and in the Amazon basin, the weather is really pleasant and dry. These are also the busiest months in the country, so you will have to make your bookings well in advance.
The weather in Bolivia during the rest of the winter months is perfect for road trips, and you will have perfect air and road connections to all your destinations.
May to October — Dry Season / High Season
This is the peak season in Bolivia for a number of reasons. First and foremost, there is little to no rain. The weather gets cold between July and August, but this is still the best time to travel in the country. The weather in Bolivia is still sunny, so visibility is quite high. The weather gets colder when you go to higher altitudes, such as La Paz, Potosi, Uyuni, etc. being quite cold during these months. The weather in the Amazon basin, Lake Titicaca, the Yungas valley, and Sucre is quite good during this period - as the cold is still bearable. Cities like Sucre, Santa Cruz, La Paz etc. fill up with people and have an incredibly lively atmosphere the year round.
- Avg. Temperature: 27 – 59° F / -3 – 15° C (in La Paz)
- Rainfall: 10 – 40 mm
- Season: Winter
- Highlights: If you are a fan of the outdoors, this is the best time for you to visit Bolivia. Head to the Cordillera Real in order to trek, mountain bike, or climb rocks. Go to the Parque Nacional Madidi, and ride a boat up the Rio Yacuma. If you feel like having a bigger adventure, go to Llanos de Moxos, where the wild savannahs await you. There are a lot of exciting events happening during these months as well. The El Señor del Gran Poder, or Feast of Jesus Christ is one of the biggest events in Bolivia. Over 20,000 people fill the streets of La Paz in colorful costumes, and the feasts around the city are mind-blowing!
November to April — Wet Season / Low Season
The summer season in Bolivia is also the wet season. This is not the best time to visit Bolivia for a number of reasons. The humidity and the heat can really turn people off from traveling. Due to the heavy rains, a lot of air and road travel might get limited, so if you were planning on taking a road trip, now is not the best time. Hiking trails will be closed, and some places in lowlands also become prone to flooding.
- Avg. Temperature: 37 – 57° F / 3 – 14° C (in La Paz)
- Rainfall: 50 – 130 mm
- Season: Summer
- Highlights: While this is generally considered a bad time to travel in Bolivia, it is possible for you to travel to specific places. The weather in Altiplano, in the Andes, is rather pleasant. This is the case for Uyuni as well. You might have to take a longer route to avoid any road problems, but you will be able to get beautiful images of the Bolivian Salt Flats, covered in water. The Carnival, one of Bolivia’s biggest celebrations, occurs in February, in Santa Cruz and Oruro. Enjoy colorful parades, folk dances, live music - and a continuous 20-hour party that you will never want to leave!