- Walking tour
- duration 8 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 20
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- In the Footsteps of King Ludwig
- Neuschwanstein Castle
- Kaffee und Kuchen (Coffee and Cakes)
- Lakes, Gorges and Mountains
Walk in the footsteps of Bavaria's eccentric King Ludwig to Neuschwanstein Castle. Also known as the Koenig Ludwig Weg or King Ludwig’s Way. The eccentric Ludwig II succeeded to the throne of the then independent kingdom of Bavaria in 1864, as a youth of 18. On 13 June 1886 he and his physician Dr Godden were found dead in the water of the Starnbergersee (Lake Starnberg); the question still remains - Did Ludwig fall or was he pushed? He was a strong swimmer and a post-mortem established that he did not drown. But no one has succeeded in unraveling the mystery. The Koenig Ludwig Weg starts at the Votivkapelle (shrine), which marks the actual spot on the lakeshore ( near the hamlet of Berg) where the bodies were found. The route ends 60 miles away near Ludwig's own fairy tale castle at Neuschwanstein. This walk, which is one of the favourite longer walks in Germany, links places particularly dear to King Ludwig who was himself a keen walker. It is not a mountain walk and much of the route is on farm tracks and country lanes, but the surroundings are delightful, with a host of splendid buildings to admire in magnificent settings and plentiful opportunities to stop for refreshments! The plains surrounding Munich give way to gentle rolling hills that become ever higher as one approaches the great wall of limestone that marks the start of the Alps proper. The route passes two of Bavaria's most scenic lakes and through charming villages of geranium bedecked chalets with typical onion shaped church spires. There are masterpieces of baroque architecture, the Andechs monastery, the wonderful cathedral of Diessen on the Ammersee Lake; the monasteries of Wessobrunn and Rottenbuch, as well as the Wies or 'Meadow' church are on the route. The highest point (988m) on the walk is the summit of Hohenpeissenberg hill, considered by many to be the finest viewpoint in Bavaria. We end our tour at King Ludwig II’s most famous architectural masterpiece- the castle Neuschwanstein and at the nearby castle Hohenschwangau, both in Allgau on the Austrian border, where Ludwig spent most of his childhood. To celebrate the 150th anniversary of King Ludwig II (in 1995), the route was extended to begin at the Votivkapelle in Berg. It is a popular walk so early booking is recommended.
Day 1 : Arrive Starnberg
Day 2 : Starnberg to Diessen 20 km/12.5 miles, 5 - 5.5 h
Day 3 : Diessen to Hohenpeissenberg Unterbau 25.5 km/16 miles, 7 h
Day 4 : Hohenpeissenberg Unterbau to Rottenbuch 15 km/9.3 miles, 4 h
Day 5 : Rottenbuch to Trauchgau 20 km/12.5 miles, 5 h or Buching 25 km/15 miles, 6 h
Day 6 : Trauchgau to Füssen 25.5 km/16 miles, 7 h, or from Buching 22 km/13.6 miles, 6.5 h
Day 7 : Explore Füssen
Day 8 : Arrangements end after breakfast
- 7 nights accommodation in hotels & guesthouses on a twin share basis generally with ensuite facilities
- 7 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Information pack including route notes & maps
- Emergency hotline
- Dinner, lunch & beverages
- S-Bahn tickets from Munich airport to Starnberg (around 15 Euros for two)
- Train tickets from Fuessen to Munich and/or its airport approx 23 Euros for two people travelling together after 9am or at weekends
- Boat tickets on the Starnbergersee (optional excursion from Starnberg to Leoni or Berg on Day 1) or on the Ammersee (Herrsching to Diessen on afternoon of Day 2)
- Entrance fees
- Travel insurance
- Travel to the start and from the end point of the trip
- Personal expenses such as laundry and phone calls
- Unscheduled transfers required during the trip
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 38+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Bavaria: King Ludwig's Way tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 04 December 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 04 December 2021, a deposit of 205 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Bavaria: King Ludwig's Way tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Bavaria: King Ludwig's Way tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.