- Desert safaris
- Train tour
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 37 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- max group size 16
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Rajasthan is the India that many people imagine when they dream of travelling to this captivating country – ancient forts, palaces, rural villages and the colourful cities of Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur and Jaipur.
- Pushkar and Varanasi are among the holiest cities in India. Climb to hilltop temples at sunrise, dodge cows in the street, and observe pilgrims praying along the ghats of the sacred Ganges River during a boat cruise.
- Ride out into the Thar Desert on a camel safari. Feast on Rajasthani cuisine at sunset before bunking down to camp between the sand dunes.
- Glide through the backwaters of Kerala on a pole boat, going ashore for a village homestay – a beautiful break and a perfect way to get close to local customs and culture.
Travel to the far-flung corners of India on this epic Lonely Planet Experience, powered by Intrepid. In the north, ride camels through Jaisalmer's desert, lose yourself in the electric bazaars of Jodhpur, witness pilgrims performing ancient ceremonies on the ghats of Varanasi and marvel at the iconic Taj Mahal in Agra. Then bask in the tropical southern climate, cruise along the Kerala Backwaters, come face-to-face with local customs in small rural towns, and laze on the gorgeous beaches of Goa – India's idyllic holiday destination. Enjoy the freedom to be immersed in the diverse cultures of colourful, chaotic and enchanting India on this small-group adventure.
Delhi – Overnight Train
Fatehpur Sikri – Agra
Agra – Overnight Train
Varanasi – Overnight Train
Madurai – Overnight Train
Mysore – Overnight Train
Hampi - Overnight train
- Camping (with basic facilities) (1 night), Guesthouse (5 nights), Heritage Property (2 nights), Homestay (1 night), Hotel (18 nights), Overnight sleeper train (6 nights)
- 4 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 2 Dinners
- Auto rickshaw , Boat , Bus , Camel , Car , Cycle rickshaw , Local bus , Metro , Overnight sleeper train , Private vehicle , Taxi , Train
- An expert tour leader
- Delhi - Leader-led Old Delhi walking & rickshaw tour
- Delhi - Jama Masjid
- Delhi - Sheeshganj Gurudwara (Sikh Temple)
- Jaisalmer - Leader-led walking tour
- Jaisalmer - Camel safari & overnight desert camp
- Jodhpur - Leader-led walking tour
- Udaipur - Leader-led walking tour
- Pushkar - Leader-led walking tour
- Jaipur - Leader-led walking & market tour
- Abhaneri - Stepwells & Harshat Mata Temple
- Varanasi - Leader-led Old City walking tour
- Kerala Backwaters - Pole boat ride
- Kerala Backwaters - Guided village walk
- Kochi - Leader-led Fort Kochi walking tour
- Periyar - Spice plantation visit
- Madurai - Leader-led walking tour
- Mysore - Leader-led walking tour
- Any international flights to New Delhi and from Goa are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Iconic India tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 89+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Iconic India tour. You can cancel the tour up to 28 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 27 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 22 November 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 22 November 2021, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 27 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Iconic India tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Iconic India tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This is a Lonely Planet Experience powered by Intrepid, made for travellers who value their independence but also want the benefit of a local leader and a group of like-minded travellers. The itinerary has a mix of included activities and free time when your leader will offer suggestions. Please budget spending money for optional activities you want to partake in.
- Part of travelling with Intrepid means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. We visit a number of temples on this trip, which requires a certain level of modesty. Please bring clothes that cover the arms and pants/skirts that go past the knees. A light scarf is also a good idea for covering shoulders and arms when it’s hot.
- We are covering a lot of distance in a vast country, so this trip involves some very long bus and train rides. These can at times be a bit gruelling but offer a quintessential and authentic Indian experience. Read the itinerary carefully for travel time estimates.
- Sleeper trains are a great way to travel long distances while still getting maximum time in each place. Beds are padded berths with sheets, pillow and blanket provided (although some people prefer to bring their own sleeping sheet). Please note that you may be sharing with locals of the same or opposite gender. More information can be found in the Transport section of the Essential Trip Information.
- When camping in the Thar Desert, you’re truly in the middle of nature, so conditions are basic and there are no toilet facilities. Please bring water, face wipes, hand sanitizer and any other supplies you may need.
- You will also be travelling by local bus on this trip. While conditions are basic, this is a great way to rub shoulders with the locals while enjoying the passing scenery.
- This trip runs all year round, so it’s important to be aware of just how hot it can get in India in the summer months and choose the season that best suits you. Depending on the time of year, temperatures in northern India can get very hot and very cold. Please bring layers and a range of adequate clothing, including thermals and sun protection.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene and safety guidelines will be followed to ensure your well being is looked after during travels.
- All travellers 18 years and older will be required to be fully vaccinated. Children aged 17 years and under must present either a negative COVID-19 test, proof of recovery or proof of full vaccination. Any customer who is unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons can apply for an exemption. Customers must provide a medical certificate from a medical professional. These new safety measures apply on all trips, except for tours in Australia, New Zealand and the Cook Islands.