- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- tour_type Self-guided tour
- age requirement 18+ years old
- age_requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- View the red earth of Salento and olive groves by the sea
- Discover Lecce and its historic centre, and the seaside town of Otranto
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage trulli of Alberobello and the Sassi of Matera
- Stay in atmospheric hand picked hotels and guesthouses
Discover the historic heel of Italy on this walk from Lecce to Matera. Puglia is a land forged in history by a mixture of civilisations and cultures. This enriching walking trip combines archaeological and architectural treasures, with hiking through valleys and along coastal paths surrounded by landscapes of red earth, olive groves and vineyards. See the unique dry stone cottages known as Trulli in intriguing Alberobello and the cave houses known as Sassi in Matera. Explore the enchanting maze of narrow streets in the 'white city' Ostuni, the seaside village of Otranto facing the Adriatic and visit the elegant Baroque city of Lecce.
Day 1 : Arrival in Lecce for sightseeing in Salento's Baroque style regional capital
Day 2 : Visit Otranto and hike along the Adriatic coastline, overnight in Lecce (4hrs)
Day 3 : Transfer to the charming whitewashed hilltop village of Ostuni, explore on foot (2hrs)
Day 4 : Explore the countryside of Ostuni, transfer to Alberobello, renowned for its 'trulli' (3hrs)
Day 5 : Discover the Itria Valley and Locorotondo (3.5hrs)
Day 6 : Transfer to Matera, guided visit of the 'Sassi' area (2hrs)
Day 7 : Hike to discover the Murgia plateau and its 8th century rock churches (3hrs)
Day 8 : Trip concludes
- 5 nights in charming B&Bs or 3 star hotels and 2 nights in a typical Trullo (subject to availability) on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities (hotel taxes extra, payable locally - allow €10-15)
- Information pack including route notes and maps per room booked
- 7 breakfasts, 2 dinners
- Private transfers as noted (Public transportation not included)
- Luggage transfer (max 20 kg pp)
- Sassi Matera guided visit & typical products tasting
- Wine and product tasting at Alberobello
- Emergency hotline
- Mobile App with GPX tracks for navigating
- Travel to Lecce and from Matera
- Beverages, lunches and 5 dinners
- Public transportation, allow €30
- Travel insurance
- Hotel taxes (allow EUR10-15)
- Note: Prices indicated above are subject to change
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 70 today.
- Earn US$ 47+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Walking in Puglia tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 25 March 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 25 March 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Walking in Puglia tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Walking in Puglia tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be implemented during transportation and followed on the accommodation premises as well.