- duration 5 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 12+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Maximum altitude 4400 meters
- Trek difficulty Hard
- Hike through the diverse and scenic landscapes of Sierra Nevada del Cocuy
- Trek to the crystalline Laguna Grande, the largest of El Cocuy's glacial lakes
- See some of the largest mountains in the Colombian Andes
- Travel through a diverse landscape ranging from green valleys to moraines
Trek through some of the most spectacular areas of El Cocuy and carry out a comprehensive, south-to-north tour of the mountain range. See El Cocuy's most impressive peaks, including Pan de Azucar, El Pulpito del Diablo and Ritacuba Blanco, and encounter a variety of environments. Walk through rich valleys full of exotic plants and streaked by streams and waterfalls, past barren but beautiful moraines that are dotted by glacial lakes, and along the base of towering mountains that are perennially covered in ice and snow.
Starting from the town of El Cocuy, this trek will take you through Lagunillas, an area with small lakes surrounded by mountains, and Laguna Grande de la Sierra before coming to an end in El Cocuy. It includes three long hiking days of 7 to 8 hours each and two nights spent in charming mountain cabins where the air is thin and the blankets are thick. For more about this trip, please go through the itinerary below.
Day 1: Bogota - The town of El Cocuy
Day 2: Lagunillas
Day 3: Laguna Grande de la Sierra
Day 4: Ritacubas
Day 5: Back to Bogota
- Transportation from and to Bogota (public bus). Private transport used in the Cocuy area
- All accommodation as per the itinerary (hostel and mountain cabins)
- All meals from lunch of Day 1 to lunch of Day 5, including snacks and trail food
- Experienced, English & Spanish speaking guides
- Entrance fees to the national park
- Personal trekking gear (backpack, boots, poles)
- Travel insurance
- Anything not mentioned in the 'What's Included' section and the itinerary
- Earn US$ 29+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
10% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 10% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.Other Practical InformationThis entire adventure is at high altitude. We recommend acclimatizing in Bogota (2640 meters / 8660 feet) for at least 2 days prior to this trip to avoid altitude sickness. The physical demand of this trip is very high, with Days 2 to 4 each involving 7 to 8 hours of high altitude trekking on moderately hilly to steep terrain. You need to be very physically fit to go on this adventure. On the hikes you will need to carry a daypack with trail water, extra layers and snacks.