- Sightseeing tour
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 3 hours
- tour type Private
- age requirement 5+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Stroll on a boardwalk through the mangroves
- Visit the turtle rehabilitation center
- Spot Zanzibar Red Colobus monkeys, a very rare species only found in Zanzibar
- Choose morning or afternoon departure
The Jozani forest is best known for its kirks red colobus monkeys (kima punju in swahili), which are endemic to Zanzibar. About 10 years ago, the monkeys were considered to be in danger of extinction, but this trend has since reversed due to the conservation project. There are about 6000 red colobus monkeys now residing in Jozani Forest.
After visiting the monkeys, walk across to the Pete-Jozani mangrove boardwalk, which entwines through coral thicket vegetation, mangrove forests and across a creek. The mangrove forest is extremely crucial to Zanzibar’s ecosystems, providing a habitat for many lizards, snakes and birdlife as well as preventing the coastal erosion.
Jozani Forest is situated 38km southeast of Stone Town. In 1995, the Jozani Chwaka Bay Conservation Project was set up to protect the largest remaining patch of indigenous ground-water forest that used to cover Zanzibar. Local communities are involved in the project and some of your entrance fee contributes to development projects and to compensate local farmers whose crops are often damaged by the red colobus monkeys.
- Experienced professional tour guide
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel
- Entrances fees
- 1L bottle of mineral water
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Medical insurance, travel insurance
- Personal purchases
- Visas & Travel Insurance
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this product is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.Other Practical InformationA deposit of 10% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.