- Escape the familiarity of Stone Town with an adventure in greater Zanzibar City
- Experience the vibrant atmosphere and amazing variety of Zanzibar's biggest market
- Visit a local woodshop to learn how Zanzibar's famous wooden beds and carved doors are made
- Try your hand at the loom of a humble textile workshop
Experience real urban life outside Stone Town in greater Zanzibar City. We'll meet up in front of the Old Fort in Stone Town and begin our urban adventure by driving past Darajani Market towards the northern neighbourhoods of Zanzibar City. On our way, we'll pass the old Sultan Palace ruins, Zanzibar University, and one of the most populous suburbs, Bubu.
Our first stop on this Zanzibar tour will be at a textile workshop to see how the vibrant fabrics are dyed and turned into traditional clothing and decorative pieces. Although the textiles are rich, the workshop still functions in a very humble setting ' adapting day by day as they work on new orders. If you want to learn more, you can even book to come in another day and create your own products.
From there, we'll head over to a local woodworking shop where beautiful traditional handicrafts are made, including the intricate carved doors you've no doubt noticed in Stone Town. You can even try your own skills at carving!
Our route continues to one of the biggest markets in town where you'll get to taste dafu, refreshing juice from a whole coconut. We'll explore the different sections of this huge market, taking in the amazing selection of exotic local fruits and vegetables, fish, and meat.
After visiting the market we'll travel to our last destination, Chukwani, passing through the wealthiest suburbs where the parliament house and expensive homes are located. We complete our Zanzibar tour with a local meal and beer at a restaurant with a breathtaking view of the ocean. If you want to stay and take in the restaurant atmosphere, we'll help you to arrange a taxi home, if not, you can join us to go back to Stone Town.
- Local english-speaking guide
- Donations to the workshops
- Fresh coconut and food with one drink at the bar.
- Any additional foods or drinks
- Any purchases made on the way or in the workshops
- Tips & gratuities for your guide.
Child Policy: Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
Closure: There might be changes in the tour plan during the month of Ramadan and on national holidays.
If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.