- duration 2 hours
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Learn about the U.S. government and its frequently controversial politicians and policies
- Engage in some friendly debate on American politics and issues
- Discover the origins of the nation’s capital
- Wander through the beautiful, historic Capitol Hill neighborhood and discover local shops and restaurants
Stroll the streets of Washington, DC’s oldest residential neighborhood as we discover the birthplace of American politics. See the iconic U.S. Capitol Building, the Supreme Court, and Library of Congress. Engage is a lively discussion and debate about historic and current American politics, all lead by a local guide. After the walking tour, continue the conversation at a locally-owned café, bar, or restaurant on DC’s historic Barracks Row.
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
Washington, DC is the center of American government and politics – and this tour will let you experience all the political action and participate in the debate! Our guides will act as educators and facilitators and give you all the information, history, and context you need to have a lively debate with your fellow guests and, who knows, we may solve some issues while we’re at it! Even if we don’t change any policies, we’ll still end the tour at a local neighborhood business and celebrate the bonds of friendship.
Your Washington, DC tour begins at the heart of the city, the U.S. Capitol Building. Here, you’ll discover the origins of the city, the inner workings of the American government, and some incredible stories about U.S. politics as you stand right in front of the building that started it all. Discuss the development of the city as you gaze upon the Capitol, Supreme Court, and Library of Congress.
Next, we’ll wander up one of the most historic streets in the city while engaging in a lively political discussion and debate, all led by your guide. Opinions welcome, but keep it friendly!
During our journey we’ll pass and discuss some of the most historic places of Capitol Hill, including the Eastern Market, the Old Navy Hospital, and the Marine Core Barracks. Find out where all the movers and shakers meet outside the office, and uncover the changes the neighborhood and city have undergone. You’ll be fascinated by how you can see the origins of the city in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.
Finally, we’ll check out the oldest commercial district in the city, Barrack’s Row. There, your local guide will point out some of the best spots to eat, drink, and socialize in the city, before ending your Washington tour at one of our favorite cafes, bars, or restaurants on the Row.
- Local English-speaking guide.
- Food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: American Politics & Debate on Capitol Hill tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
Full payment of 40 USD is required to confirm this tour.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: American Politics & Debate on Capitol Hill tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: American Politics & Debate on Capitol Hill tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
On the east side of Capitol building between the guard posts on the Capitol side of the intersection, where First St. NE, First St. SE, and East Capitol St. NE meetMeeting end point :
Marine Barracks, 8th & I St. SE, Washington, DCLonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.