- duration 10 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 8
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- A 10 day fly in, fly out alpine based learning environment high mountain hut based with the potential for planned bivouacs
- Learn new mountain skills and brush up on techniques
- Instructed by fully qualified NZMGA (NZ Mountain Guide Association) guides
- Receive a detailed instruction manual
Build upon basic knowledge to develop the full range of modern alpine climbing techniques in the heart of the Southern Alps. Experience is imperative before tackling any major mountaineering ascent. This comprehensive climbing course has been designed specifically for fit and motivated people who want to learn modern-day alpine climbing techniques and improve their basic mountaineering knowledge. The 10-day course focuses on advancing your technical skills and developing a climbing strategy pertinent to alpine style mountaineering. In the company of professional NZMGA/IFMGA mountain guides you will gain valuable experience through climbing a variety of alpine routes as well as develop skills in mountain navigation, weather training and crevasse rescue training. Upon the successful completion of this course you will have learnt safe climbing practices and be capable of utilising your skills to attempt ascents of many of the major peaks within New Zealand and beyond.
Day 1 : Meet at Wanaka office, to Fox Glacier
Day 2 : Fox Glacier - mountaineering
Day 3 : Fox Glacier area - mountaineering
Day 4 : Fox Glacier area - mountaineering
Day 5 : Fox Glacier area - mountaineering
Day 6 : Franz Josef area - mountaineering
Day 7 : Franz Josef area - mountaineering
Day 8 : Franz Josef area - mountaineering
Day 9 : Fox Glacier township
Day 10 : Fox Glacier to Wanaka
- All meals and snack foods whilst on the trip
- Ground transport ex Wanaka
- Helicopter or ski plane access and egress flights
- Guide Fees and hut fees
- Course manual (A Climber’s Guide to NZ Mountaineering Techniques, by Guy Cotter and Mark Sedon)
- NZMGA and / or IFMGA qualified mountain guide
- Group equipment such as ropes, tents and stoves
- Department of Conservation fees (CA/155/Gui)
- NZ Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Use of climbing gear including climbing harness with adjustable leg loops, carabiners, belay device/descender, prussics & slings, helmet, ice axe, ice hammer, crampons
- Travel to/from Wanaka
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Personal mountaineering equipment not mentioned in inclusions (can be hired)
- Any accommodation and meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 111+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Alpine Climbing Course tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 31 August 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 31 August 2021, a deposit of 1 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Alpine Climbing Course tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Alpine Climbing Course tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.