- duration 2 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Experience one of Europe’s most creative communities for yourself the Republic of Užupis
- Visit artisan stores and cafes, taste some of the Republic‘s best food and meet the owners behind the businesses
- See the area‘s main sights such as the Bronze Angel of Užupis, Tibet Square and the Alley of Sculptures
- Dare you walk the street of death? Those who do will be rewarded with a buried robot and a swing on the Swing of Destiny…
Explore the bohemian Republic of Užupis located in the old town of Vilnius, which declared its independence from the rest of the city in 1997. Home to artists and creative types, this unique place even has its own President, constitution and flags and can claim the Dalai Lama as one of its honorary residents. Get an introduction to this fabulously unique place from a local guide, see the Republic’s main sights and discover its hidden secrets too (Food! Views! Beer!).
Your Republic of Užupis tour will begin with an introduction to the area, its history and how it came to be independent.
We will take a walk along the main streets, pointing out landmarks such as the Mermaid Statue and the Bronze Angel of Užupis and telling you about their origins.
We will enjoy the laidback atmosphere of the area, admiring colourful street art as your local guide escorts you towards hidden gems that most tourists wouldn’t find on their own.
As we wander, your expert guide will talk about the Constitution of the Republic, its history, its meaning and who is responsible for enforcing it.
We’ll also pop into boutique shops that offer a weird and wonderful variety of goods, fabulous for picking up that authentic and unique gift or souvenir to take home with you.
A Lithuanian beer stop at one of our favourite local joints is included too.
Your tour will end near one of the ten bridges that belong to this rare bohemian enclave. If you want to continue exploring, your guide can point you in the right direction or give you directions back to your accommodation. Whatever you do, don’t forget to ask for more tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay.
- Local English-speaking guide
- One local snack and one sample of Lithuanian craft beer.
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this The True Story of the Uzupis Republic tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 15 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 15 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
The True Story of the Uzupis Republic tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this The True Story of the Uzupis Republic tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
By the writer’s sculpture near Bernardine Church on Maironio St. 10Meeting end point :
By the Užupis BridgeCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.