- duration 4 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- age_requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Travel back in time and relive the atmosphere of the Chernobyl disaster of April 26, 1986, one of the world’s worst manmade catastrophes
- Visit a former KGB prison (used as a filming location for the series) and find the cell where comrade Ulana Khomyuk was held
- See the neighbourhood used to portray the fictional Pripyat and other authentic Chernobyl locations featured in the HBO miniseries
- Find out mindbending behindthescenes details about what it took to film the series
Attention comrades! Join us for a half-day adventure visiting some of the filming locations of the HBO miniseries Chernobyl. Find out how Vilnius stood in as the location of one of the world’s worst man-made catastrophes, get behind the scenes details about the series only locals know about, and go back in time to the Soviet era to discover what life would have been like during the fallout from the Chernobyl disaster.
If you've seen HBO’s acclaimed miniseries Chernobyl, which dramatizes the harrowing story of the April 1986 nuclear plant disaster and the devastating events that followed - this is your chance to see the show's filming locations firsthand.
Once you meet your local guide, you’ll board a public bus to the neighbourhood used to portray the fictional Pripyat, the idealized Soviet city of the future where the disaster took place in 1986. This district in Vilnius was built around the period of the actual catastrophe in the late 1980s.
Upon arrival at the fictionalized Pripyat, you’ll take a walk through the actual locations where the miniseries was shot and hear behind-the-scenes details. You’ll discover why Lithuania served as the perfect backdrop for the miniseries and get to know the deeper history and social atmosphere of the Soviet era which contributed to Chernobyl’s disaster. Your local guide will also share their own experiences from those days.
As you explore, you’ll hear some secret information about other filming locations and remember the heroes of the disaster who are not widely known but who should be recognized for their bravery.
You’ll then board another bus to visit the former cultural and sports centre of the Ministry of the Interior, used in the series as the Pripyat hotel restaurant. The scene where the three volunteer divers are selected took place here.
We will then select our own volunteer divers and have a shot of “Soviet medicine” for added courage! After letting three divers go on their undoubtedly fatal mission, we will visit the bar to calm down a bit.
More or less relaxed, we’ll then hop on a trolley and go to a classified location to taste the cherry on top of the tour. Before parting, you will have a dose of iodine to keep you healthy and your local guide can help direct you back to your accommodations or offer tips on what else to see and do in the city.
- English-speaking guide
- Bus tickets
- Special snack and drink.
- Entrance tickets to KGB museum
- tour in museum
- additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 13+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Private Vilnius: Chernobyl Miniseries - Behind the Scenes tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 15 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 15 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Private Vilnius: Chernobyl Miniseries - Behind the Scenes tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Private Vilnius: Chernobyl Miniseries - Behind the Scenes tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Auku g. 2A, Vilnius. Easily accessible from Vilnius’ main avenue: Gedimino.Meeting end point :
Classified (but in the city center)COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.