- duration 7 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- The Gorgeous Douro Valley and its Pinhão tributary
- Discover the River Douro through little Pinhão. Possibilities for short river cruises
- Bustling Porto with opportunities for Port Lodges and wine tasting
- Pretty walks in wine country from a quiet rural 'Casa'
Enjoy the Douro Valley's best walks and wines between Porto and Pinhão. Created in 1756 by the government of the Marquis of Pombal, the Douro Wine Region Valley is the oldest demarcated and regulated wine region in the world. The Alto Douro Wine Region is famous not only for its port but also for its more recent high quality table wines. This self-guided, hotel based walking and sightseeing tour starts from the village of Vilarinho de Sao Romeo in the middle of the region, then continues down to the small port-town of Pinhão on the Douro River and finally travelling via train to the great city of Porto for a couple of nights. There are a number of walks that you can do based from our charming and quiet guest house at Vilarinho, before you descend to the Douro for more leisurely activities such as boat rides or wine tasting. A couple of nights in Porto give you the opportunity to ramble around one of the best preserved cities in Western Europe. All activities are optional, the Vilarinho guest house is so peaceful, you might want to spend your time reading on the veranda quaffing the local vinho. Spring and autumn are the ideal time to visit, although there can be great extremes of temperature between the valleys. September and October are best for seeing the harvest, although the exact times vary slightly each year. The most colourful time of year is October to early November when the vines turn, orange, red and purple. Spring can be a quiet time to visit, after the vine pruning, where nature is coming back to life after often surprisingly cold winters.
Day 1 : Arrive Vilarinho de Sao Romeo
Day 2 : Circular walk into the valley of the Pinhão River 14.1 km/8.7 miles, 5 h
Day 3 : Circular walk to Vilela and Fermentoes 11.3 km/7 miles, 4.5 h
Day 4 : Walk (or taxi) to Pinhão 11.5 km/7 miles, 5 h
Day 5 : Morning in Pinhao, optional activities afternoon train to Porto
Day 6 : Day in Porto, walking tour, wine tasting possibilities
Day 7 : Arrangements end after breakfast
- 3 nights accommodation twin share ensuite in a rural pension
- 1 night accommodation twin share ensuite in a 5 star hotel
- 2 nights accommodation twin share ensuite in a 4 star hotel
- 6 breakfasts, 3 dinners
- 1 luggage transfer from Vilarinho to Pinhão
- Information pack including notes, maps & GPX files
- Emergency contact
- 3 dinners, all lunches & beverages
- Transport to and from the start/finish points
- Travel Insurance
- Entrance fees
- Personal expenses such as laundry and phone calls
- Unscheduled transfers required during the trip
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 58 today.
- Earn US$ 38+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Douro Rambler tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Douro Rambler tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Douro Rambler tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.