- duration 4 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Admire stunning views over Vienna, glass of vino in hand!
- Enjoy local wines while sitting amongst the very vines that produced them
- Explore beautiful areas of the city that most tourists don’t know about
- Visit one of our favourite wine merchants for a tasting
If you were to ask a Viennese person what they are most proud of, it wouldn’t be the opera house or even their world famous coffee shops. Instead, they would say their wines, which they love so much that they barely export them! On this tour, we’ll let you in on the secrets of one of Europe’s best off-the-radar wine regions. You'll learn all about the making of Viennese wines and best of all, you’ll get to taste a few for yourself.
Wine is likely not to be the first thing that comes to mind when you think about Vienna, which is why you might be surprised and delighted to learn that Vienna and wine have been uniquely entwined since the Roman Emperor Probus brought the art of winemaking to the city in 280 B.C. By the 16th century, wine was the favoured trade product of the city, making wine and the numerous vineyards here an integral part of Viennese life and culture.
On this tour, tailor-made for wine-lovers, you’ll be immersing yourself into the world of Vienna’s best-loved wines. Our journey begins in the centre of Vienna and the only remaining wine garden in the city’s 1st district. From there, we jump on the ‘Bim’, which is how the Viennese endearingly refer to the tram. As we ride, you’ll catch glimpses of all the major sites that surround the illustrious ring of the city, and to accompany each, your guide will be able to tell tales of the interesting connection these iconic sites have to the city’s wines.
Onwards and upwards (quite literally), we’ll then head into the hills of Nussdorf, past the ominous yet impressive Karl Marx Hof; Europe's largest social housing building, for our first refreshment and food break.
Strengthened and rehydrated after some traditional Viennese snacks and the famous g'spritzter (white wine spritzer) we will head for a heuriger (wine bar) in the hills, taking in the breathtaking views of Vienna and its surroundings before settling in for another glass of wine and learning exactly what makes a ‘Gemischten Satz’ unique and what a ‘Wienerlied’ is.
Next, we’ll take a leisurely stroll back down the hill, passing more landmarks along the way, bringing us to a traditional winery where there is a very good chance we’ll enjoy a glass of wine in their beautiful courtyard, weather permitting. We’ll then travel via underground back into central Vienna to visit the city’s most famous wine merchant to learn more about Viennese wine and wine culture, and maybe, just maybe, try one or two more wines.
Your tour will end in the city centre, before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for more tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay in Vienna.
- English-speaking guide
- 4 glasses of different wines
- Typical Viennese snacks.
- Tickets for the Metro
- additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Wines of Vienna tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Wines of Vienna tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Wines of Vienna tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Café Schwarzenberg – Kärntner Ring 17Meeting end point :
Führichgasse 10 – Guesthouse ViennaCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.