- Enjoy skip-the-line access in St. Mark’s Cathedral and the Doge’s Palace
- Admire 4,000 square meters of mosaics in St. Mark’s while you hear the improbable story
- Get special access to the terraces of St. Mark’s Basilica with spectacular views
- Take in the view from the Bridge of Sighs and learn why the spot isn’t quite romantic
If you want to submerge yourself in the incredible history of Venice’s maritime empire, our Legendary Venice tour is the perfect excursion for you.
We start in in the world-famous St. Mark’s Square, taking a moment to appreciate the space before diving into St. Mark’s Cathedral - with access to the group entrance you’ll avoid long general access lines. Here you will get a deep look at the way that Venice built a mercantile empire that once spanned the entire Mediterranean. As you gape at the mosaics and other treasures inside, your expert Venetian guide will explain how the city begged, borrowed, and yes, stole, almost all of them as it grew from a tiny island to one of the biggest powers in the Medieval world. You’ll also get special access to the first floor terrace where you can see the famous horses stolen from Constantinople during the Fourth Crusade as well as amazing views over St Mark’s Square and the city.
Next it’s off to the Doge’s Palace, where pre-reserved tickets once again get us past the lines and inside what was the political heart of the empire for hundreds of years. Here you’ll visit the Doge’s own opulent apartments and the Hall of the Great Council where matters of state were decided under beautiful frescoes by Veronese and Tintoretto, You’ll also see the armory and the New Prisons, where you’ll learn about the grim lives of anyone unlucky enough to be taken prisoner. You’ll also find out the secret behind the mysterious black veil that interrupts the official series of Doge’s portraits. Hint: it will make you not want to work in Venetian government.
Finally, you’ll wander over the Bridge of Sighs and learn why this romantic icon is a little more grim than you have probably been taught.
Venice is a beautiful city but it doesn’t really come to life until you have an expert, local Venetian guide to show you around and tell you the stories that take you deep into the history and lore of the city. In a small group of no more than 15 people you will have intimate access to your guide and be able to ask them all the questions you want about improbable history of one of the world’s most unique cities.
- Venice walking tour including local Venetian guide
- Skip the line access tickets at St. Mark’s Basilica
- Special access to the terraces of St. Mark’s Basilica
- Skip the line access tickets at the Doge’s Palace
- Headsets when necessary
- Hotel Pick-Up/Drop-Off
● Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
● The terrace of St. Mark's Basilica, the prisons and the armory of the Doge's Palace are not wheelchair-accessible, as a result of which we cannot accommodate wheelchairs on this tour. For those interested in wheelchair friendly tours in Venice, please contact our Customer Care team email@example.com.
● St. Mark's Basilica can be subject to unforeseen closures due to particular liturgical celebrations. In the case in which the basilica is closed, we will give you explanations from the outside.
● Please remember that the basilica is a holy place and attire must be appropriate: Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. Walks of Italy cannot be held responsible for denied entry due to improper dress. Backpacks are prohibited inside of St. Mark's Basilica.
● This tour runs rain or shine. However, occasionally St. Mark's Basilica and the Doge's Palace are closed to the public, without previous notice, due to high tides or particular festivities. In these cases we endeavor to contact customers as soon as possible to arrange a suitable alternative.
● Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers on this tour.
- For cancellations made more than 72 hours prior to tour commencement: Full refund.
- For cancellations made within 72 hours prior to tour commencement: No refund can be provided.
- For amendments made more than 72 hours prior to tour commencement: No amendment fee, pending availability.
- For amendments made within 72 hours prior to tour commencement: Amendments subject to a amendment fee per person, per tour, pending availability.
Late Arrivals & No Shows:
- No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.