- duration 3 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 18
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Take wacky pictures in the famous Salar de Uyuni
- Drive through the Bolivian Altiplano’s moonlike deserts
- Marvel at breathtaking red & green colored lakes
- See active volcanoes & relax in therapeutic hot springs
Embark on an unforgettable expedition in a 4x4 Toyota land cruiser through the vast and blinding-white salt flats of Uyuni and into the desert of southwest Bolivia. Along the way, visit tiny villages, multi-colored lakes with flamingos, geysers, and thermal hot-springs at 4,000 - 5,000m.
Day 1: Uyuni - Villa Candelaria, Bolivia
Day 2: Villa Candelaria - Polques, Bolivia
Day 3: Polques - Uyuni, Bolivia
- 1 Night accommodation in Salt Hotel, basic dorm-style rooms w/ shared bathroom (hot shower included in the first night)
- 1 Night shared hostel accommodation
- 2 Breakfast(s)
- 3 Lunch(es)
- 2 Dinner(s)
- Pick-up available from Uyuni bus station or Uyuni accommodation (must be booked in advance, transfer from airport to accommodation have an extra cost 5 USD)
- Airport Pick-Up (only the day the tour starts) and Drop-Off
- 4WD transport on tour (max 7 people per car)
- Local driver and English-speaking guide
- Active sightseeing adventures
- Drinks during meals
- Sleeping bag (if requested)
- Hot shower included the first night
- Entrance fees to Isla Incahuasi (30 BS)
- Entrance fee to Reserva Eduardo Avaroa (150 BS, you have to pay it the first day of the tour)
- Entrance fee to the Open Air Hot Springs (6 BS)
- Toiletries (towels, toilet paper, soap,etc)
- Other meals & drinks
- Hot shower (10 BS)
- Toilets along the way (20 BS)
- Tips for guide, driver and cook
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Transfer to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile (must be booked in advance)
- All the tips to the guides are optional and not included
- Optional gratuities
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 11+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Uyuni Salt Flats & Desert Adventure 3D/2N (Uyuni to Uyuni) tour. You can cancel the tour up to 33 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 32 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 27 October 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 27 October 2021, a deposit of 20% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 32 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Uyuni Salt Flats & Desert Adventure 3D/2N (Uyuni to Uyuni) tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Uyuni Salt Flats & Desert Adventure 3D/2N (Uyuni to Uyuni) tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.
ALTITUDE: This trip takes place at a very high altitude. The salt flats are around 5,000 meters above sea level, and most guests will be able to feel the effects. We recommend acclimating yourself to above 3,000 meters before the trip and bringing along medication for headaches and tablets for altitude sickness in case you feel unwell. And remember, the real key is to drink lots of water!
ACCOMMODATION / FACILITIES ON TOUR: The reality of visiting a remote area and immersing yourself in nature is that you will be far from modern facilities and the services will sometimes be slow and quite basic. Due to the harsh terrain, vehicle breakdowns are not uncommon, but the drivers are very used to fixing them and wait times are rarely excessive. The accommodations will be very basic, with cots and shared rooms, and the electricity and running water in the National Park are not as dependable as they are back at home. Toilet facilities may have a small local cost and the shower is only available on Day 1. Make sure to bring snacks, some water, toilet paper, and plenty of warm clothes. That said, with some patience, preparation, and an appetite for adventure, this trip will certainly be a positive and unforgettable experience.
If you want a private room for the 2 nights you have to pay an extra cost of 250 BS/36 USD per person, and it's subject to availability, we reccomend you to pre-order.
Salt Hotel may not be available between February and April, due to the monsoon season and road conditions. Another hotel, not made of salt, will be provided.
SUGGESTED PACKING LIST: Sun hat, sunglasses (to protect your eyes from the bright glare off the salt panes), sunblock, coat, gloves, wool hat, trekking shoes, warm socks, swimsuit and towel for hot springs at Sol de Manana Geysers, extra bottles of water (we recommend bringing a 5 Liter bottled water so you can have enough water for the whole trip), snacks, personal medication. Flashlight/torch, camera, extra batteries and memory card, charger (electricity available in most hotels), hand sanitizer, personal first aid kit. You will be sleeping up to 4,300 meters above sea level and depending on the season, temperatures can drop well below zero (reaching less than -15 degrees Celsius in the winter months of June and July) and the wind chill can be harsh, so bring plenty of warm clothes like a scarf and wool hat for the chilly evenings.
DRIVER AND GUIDE: Please note that there is one guide per group. When exploring, your guide will be with the entire group. However, if groups are split into multiple vehicles you may be in a vehicle without the guide during transport.
NOTE: As you will come back to your departure point, please ONLY BRING the necessary material & clothes during the tour.
Option to connect to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile. You need to book this transfer in advance.
This itinerary is subject to change without prior notice according to weather conditions, strikes, roadblocks, or force majeure events which are beyond our control. We will always do our best to follow the itinerary as close as possible.
During the rainy season (from November to April), it is not possible to access Incahuasi Island. However, there is the possibility of visiting the island if on the day of your tour it does not rain. We also may sleep in a different location due to road access.
During the winter season (from May to August), it is not possible to access Eduardo Avaroa National Park (red lagoon, Dali dessert, green lagoon). However, there is the possibility of visiting black lagoon and rock valley, changes to the itinerary maybe made without prior notice depending on the weather conditions. You may also sleep in different locations depending on vehicle access.
During the rainy season from January to April, the Salt Flats fill up with water so it is not possible to cross them in the same way as during dry season. As a consequence, the itinerary is modified during that period. The main changes are usually as follows:
- Instead of stopping at the Inca Wasy (Fish Island), we stop at a place where the water reflects the sky and where it seems that the sky and the ground merge into one.
- On day 1, we might sleep at another location.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Implemented COVID-19 Protocols
- I am with a group who want to book this tour. Will we join a larger group or do we constitute a separate group?
- Do we need to pay the full amount to book?
Is there enough space to store our suitcases and belongings along the way?
Yes, as long as you are not packing too much! Travellers who are returning to Uyuni should just pack the necessary items for this trip. The rest of the luggage can be left in the offices at your meeting point. Instead of carrying suitcases, we would recommend that you carry duffle bags or backpacks, which can be stored easily in the vehicles. Remember that there will be a maximum of 7 people in one car.