1. Hike famous national parks
The best adventure tours in the USA involve exploring the country's extensive national park system. Avid trekkers could spend a lifetime exploring the dramatic landscapes on foot. From the world-renowned Yellowstone National Park to the red-rock walls of the Grand Canyon, the USA is a hiker’s paradise.
- Best time to hike: Any time! Although pick March – May (spring) and September – November (fall) for pleasant temperatures, fewer crowds and lower prices at most of the country’s national parks.
- Tip: For a more intimate and cost-effective experience, consider staying in a campground for unforgettable nights underneath the stars. Research the park you are visiting to find out if campsites are first-come, first-serve or need to be booked in advance.
2. Surf coast-to-coast
Whether you prefer the jagged New England shoreline, sunny shores of California or the big swells of Hawaii, surfing is one of the top aquatic adventure activities in the USA. The Pacific and Atlantic coastlines have some of the most popular surf spots in the world and welcome surfers of all levels.
- Best time to surf: December – May (winter and spring) are popular surf seasons in California and Hawaii. September – November (fall) provides great swells, comfortable temperatures and fewer crowds on the east coast.
- Tip: Hawaii’s famous Waikiki Beach and Florida’s surf haven of Cocoa Beach are two of the country’s best locations for beginners. Smaller waves, sandy bottoms, and a surf-friendly environment makes it a wonderful place to hone your skills.
3. Ski powdery slopes
The USA has lots of Olympic-worthy ski resorts that can compete with the best in the world. From the Rocky Mountains to hidden gems in New York and Vermont, a winter USA trip is not complete without a fast-paced ride down one of its snow-covered mountains.
- Best time to ski: December – March (winter) when ski resorts across the country receive the highest amount of snowfall.
- Tip: With iconic resorts like Telluride, Vail and Aspen Mountain, the state of Colorado is regarded as the top place for a ski adventure in the USA.
4. Raft scenic rivers
As one of the larger countries in the world, the USA boasts countless rivers for an exciting rafting expedition. From the mighty Colorado River to West Virginia’s grueling Gauley River, there are plenty of class IV and V rapids to get your adrenaline pumping.
- Best time to raft: June – September (summer) when the temperatures are warmer or April – June (spring) for fewer crowds and when water levels are typically their highest.
- Tip: Arkansas River in Colorado is a great place for rafters of all levels and perfect for a stunning family raft experience. Salmon River, Idaho, on the other hand, is a very scenic option for more experienced rafters.
5. Cycle cross country
Cycling might just be the best adventure tour in the USA to explore every inch of the country’s terrain. Discover the numerous routes to ride from coast-to-coast and witness breathtaking vistas.
- Best time to cycle: It depends on where you are in the country. Generally, March – June (spring) and September – November (fall) are best for more comfortable riding temperatures, but summer is also lovely in the north, and winter further south.
- Tip: For real adventurers, the USA is great for long-distance bicycle routes. Some we recommend include the pioneering TransAmerica Trail, the coastal Pacific Coast Route, and the grueling Great Divide, among many others!