- duration 18 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Attend the Eagle Festival in the remote Altai Mountains
- Explore Mongolia's vast wilderness stepp and Gobi Desert
- Experience traditional nomadic culture
Rolling steppe make way to stark desert; small nomadic ger camps pepper this vast land where camels and goats are herded on horseback, fermented mare’s milk is the tipple of choice, sand dunes are known to ‘sing’ and the first intact dinosaur eggs were found. Genghis Khan went forth from here on horseback to conquer the biggest land empire in history and, to this day, Buddhist and Animist traditions mix. We travel through steppe, mountains and the Gobi Desert exploring the nature and culture of this fascinating, yet little known country before making our way to the far western reaches to visit the Eagle Festival, celebrating the fascinating past time of hunting with eagles and the strong connection the Mongolian people have with their animals and land.This departure of the Eagle Festival tour visits Gobi Gurvansaikhan N. P. at the start of the trip.
Met some wonderful people both on the trip and locals in the ger camps who are living the nomadic life still.....but with a few mod cons like satellite dishes and solar panels which drive the TV, twin tub and freezer box.. !!!
A real experience to see the open spaces of the steppes and the different landscapes, but realised that I only scratched the surface of it as Mongolia is such a vast country. I would definitely like to go back to see more.”
Day 1: Start Ulaanbaatar.
Day 2: Ulaanbaatar sightseeing.
Day 3: Fly to Dalanzadgad; travel through rocky plains of Gobi Gurvansaikhan N.P.
Day 4: Hiking around the Flaming Cliffs of Bayanzag.
Day 5: Visit the Khongoryn Els, or 'singing sand dunes', the largest dunes in
Day 6: Explore the Singing Sand Dunes and visit a nomadic camel breeding family.
Day 7: Explore the region of Bayan Gobi and the Bichigt Khad petroglyphs
Day 8: Transfer to Avaikheer via Mt Ikh Bogd.
Day 9: Visit Avaikheer Museum; on to Kharkhorin via Shankh Monastery.
Day 10: Visit Karakorum and Erdene Zuu Monastery; drive to Mongol Els or 'Little
Day 11: Transfer to Khustain Nuruu N.P trek to see wild horses.
Day 12: Drive to Terelj National Park.
Day 13: Drive to Ulaanbaatar via Genghis Khaan Statue
Day 14: Fly to Olgii; visit a nomadic Kazakh village
Day 15: Eagle festival.
Day 16: Another day at the Eagle Festival
Day 17: Fly to Ulaanbaatar; free time in the city.
Day 18: End Ulaanbaataar.
- 4 nights hotels, all en suite and 12 nights ger camp with shared facilities , All accommodation
- All breakfasts, 15 lunches and 16 dinners
- Travel by 4WD, bus and internal flights
- All transport and listed activities
- All internal flights
- (if booking incl. flights)
- Normally 4 to 16, plus local leader, Min age 16 yrs
- This departure visits Gobi Gurvansaikhan N.P. at the start of the trip
- Tour leader throughout
- Arrival & departure transfers
- Any international flights to/from Ulaanbaatar are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Mongolia Eagle Festival: Steppes, Deserts & Nomads tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 194+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Mongolia Eagle Festival: Steppes, Deserts & Nomads tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 555 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 61 days before departure. For any departures within 29 July 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Mongolia Eagle Festival: Steppes, Deserts & Nomads tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Mongolia Eagle Festival: Steppes, Deserts & Nomads tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.