- duration 17 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Variety of landscapes as we cycle through open steppe and larch and pine forests
- A visit to Erden Zuu Monastery and Genghis Khan's ancient capital
- Wild camping and overnight at hot springs
- Attend Naadam Festival and witness traditional games
Mongolia remains a mysterious presence in the heart of Central Asia, a traditional country where visitors are still an unusual sight. Nomads wander the grasslands, setting up their white gers (tents) where the pasture is lush for their horses. On our bikes, we follow good trails across wide, open steppe, into expansive mountain scenery and through larch and pine forests. Camping wild under the wide skies adds an adventurous edge to what is certainly one of our most intrepid cycle tours. Adding to the experience this special departure spends two days taking in traditional wrestling, archery, horse-riding, bone flicking and Mongolians dressed in their best clothes at the Naadam Festival in Ulaanbaator.
Day 1: Start Ulaan Baatar.
Day 2: Morning sightseeing followed by a traditional Mongolian show; overnight train
Day 3: Ride to Tal Tolgoi Well via the small township of Bugat; camp.
Day 4: Cross Tuluugiin Pass; camp.
Day 5: Arhangai steppe ride through undulating country to open green valley below
Mt. Khairkhan (1862m); camp.
Day 6: Short climb to cross Kholboogin Pass (1649m) before descending to Khairkhan
Day 7: Cycle up Khunjiin River Valley to camp beneath Mt. Chingeltei.
Day 8: Short climb past the headwaters of the Khunjiin; descend into Tamir River
Valley; camp near Great Rock of Ikh Tamir.
Day 9: Half-day ride to Tsetserleg; capital of Arhangai, afternoon free.
Day 10: Morning ride in foothills of the Khangai Mountains.
Day 11: Cycle across undulating steppe to Mt. Ondor Khairkhan (2312m).
Day 12: Ride the Khangai Mountain Range on good jeep tracks; descend to Orkhon River
Day 13: Ride to Karakorum and Erdene Zuu Monastery; overnight in traditional ger
Day 14: Drive to Ulaan Baatar, visit sand dunes at Mongol Els; free afternoon.
Day 15-16: Two days enjoying the Naadam Festival
Day 17: End Ulaan Baatar.
- 9 nights wild camping, 4 nights hotels, 2 nights traditional Mongolian gers, and 1 night sleeper train , All accommodation
- All breakfasts, 13 lunches and 15 dinners included
- 11 days cycling (including 2 half-days) with 100% vehicle support
- All transport and listed activities
- (if booking incl. flights)
- Group normally 4 to 14, plus leader. Min. age 16yrs
- Tour leader throughout
- Arrival & departure transfers
- Local bike hire
- Any international flights to/from Ulaanbaatar are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Cycling in Mongolia - Naadam Festival Special Departure tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 163+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Cycling in Mongolia - Naadam Festival Special Departure tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 26 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 26 January 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Cycling in Mongolia - Naadam Festival Special Departure tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Cycling in Mongolia - Naadam Festival Special Departure tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.