- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Walking in the Pindos Mountains of Greece
- Descend the Famous Vikos Gorge
- Spectacular Vistas from Cliff Tops and High Passes
- Ancient Settlements and Friendly Hospitality
Explore the Zagoria Villages in the Pindos Mountains of Greece. By western European standards Zagoria is a relatively wild and remote area. However the footpaths have been marked and we have prepared route notes, which read in conjunction with the map we provide will enable you to find your way. The walk includes a traverse of the magnificent Vikos Gorge (sometimes referred to as the Greek Grand Canyon), as well as treasures of vernacular architecture. Many of the late 18th century stone-built villages, which we visit, are within what is today a Conservation Area. Maintenance grants assist house owners to repair and renovate using traditional materials. Five nights of the tour are spent in Zagorian villages, one night in a mountain refuge, and one night at a hotel in Ioannina on the shores of Lake Pamvotis.
Day 1 : Arrive Tsepelovo
Day 2 : Tsepelovo - Vradeto - Beloi - Tsepelovo - 15 km /9.3 miles, 4-5 h
Day 3 : Tsepelovo – Kipi – Koukouli – Vitsa - 14 km/8.5 miles, 4.5 h
Day 4 : Vitsa – Vikos, overnight Aristi - 12.5 km/7.5 miles, 6.5 h
Day 5 : Vikos – Papingo (also called Papigo) - 5 km/3 miles, 3-4 h
Day 6 : Papingo – Astraka hut – Dragon Lake – Astraka hut - 12km/7.5 miles, 6 h
Day 7 : Walk back to Papingo, and then transfer to Ioannina - 6 km/4 miles, 2 h
Day 8 : Transfer to the airport
- 4 nights accommodation in village pensions, 1 night dormitory in a mountain refuge, 2 nights hotels. En-suite facilities available, except at the mountain refuge.
- 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 6 dinners
- Transfer from Preveza or Ioannina to the start of the tour (and back at the end of the tour)
- Luggage transfer
- Transfers as per the itinerary
- Information pack including route notes & maps
- Emergency hotline
- 1 dinner, 2 lunches & beverages
- Entrance fees
- Travel insurance
- Travel up to Preveza or Ioannina (and back at the end of the tour)
- Personal expenses such as laundry and phone calls
- Unscheduled transfers required during the trip
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 62 today.
- Earn US$ 41+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Zagoria: the Secret Villages tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Zagoria: the Secret Villages tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Zagoria: the Secret Villages tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.