- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 16 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Take the atmosphere of Shimla or Darjeeling, add lush tropical jungle and you have the Western Ghats: a hotspot of thundering waterfalls, tea plantations, spice markets, and echoes of a colonial past.
- Glide through the backwaters of Kerala on a pole boat, going ashore for a village homestay – a beautiful break from hotels and overnight trains and a perfect way to get close to local customs and culture.
- Cross into Kochi – a colonial centre and major port city in India’s southwest. Explore the seaside Fort Kochi area and consider watching a traditional Kathakali dance performance in your free time.
- The word ‘colourful’ gets thrown around a lot when people talk about India, but the gateway towers of Meenakshi Amman Temple truly are a technicolour dream.
Unplug from everyday routine and head to the beaches and backwaters of southern India on a 16-day Lonely Planet Experience, powered by Intrepid. Explore the lush landscapes, intriguing cultures, bustling bazaars, and incredible cuisine of this region. Jump on and off local transport and go rural through coconut groves and fishing villages, discovering the heart of the subcontinent. See ancient ruins and stunning temples, eat spicy curries, and drink luscious lassis. Join the bustle of city streets and, at the end of it all, unwind on the beautiful beaches of Goa.
Madurai – Overnight Train
Mysore – Overnight Train
Hampi - Overnight train
- Homestay (1 night), Hotel (11 nights), Overnight sleeper train (3 nights)
- 3 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner
- Overnight sleeper train , Private vehicle , Public bus , Auto rickshaw , Taxi , Train , Canoe , Boat
- An expert tour leader
- Kerala Backwaters - Pole boat ride
- Kerala Backwaters - Guided village walk
- Kochi - Leader-led Fort Kochi walking tour
- Periyar - Spice plantation visit
- Madurai - Leader-led walking tour
- Mysore - Leader-led walking tour
- Any international flights to Trivandrum and from Goa are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this South India Revealed tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 41+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this South India Revealed tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 14 February 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 14 February 2021, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 23 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
South India Revealed tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this South India Revealed tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This is a Lonely Planet Experience powered by Intrepid, made for travellers who value their independence but also want the benefit of a local leader and a group of like-minded travellers. The itinerary has a mix of included activities and free time when your leader will offer suggestions. Please budget spending money for optional activities you want to take part in.
- We are covering a lot of distance in a vast country, so this trip involves some very long bus and train rides. These can at times be a bit gruelling, but offer a quintessential and authentic Indian experience.
- Sleeper trains are a great way to travel long distances while still getting maximum time in each place. Beds are padded berths with sheets, pillow and blanket provided (although some people prefer to bring their own sleeping sheet). Please note that you may be sharing with locals of all genders. More information can be found in the 'Transport' section of the Essential Trip Information.
- This trip runs year-round, so it’s important to be aware of just how hot it can get in India in the summer months and choose the season that best suits you.
- Intrepid offers many ways to see southern India. If you’d prefer a different itinerary with more inclusions, check out the Intrepid Original Southern India tour (trip code HHSS) or Comfort Classic South India tour (trip code HHKS). If you're aged 18–29 and would prefer to travel with others of the same age, check out the Real South India tour (trip code HHYH). Search the relevant trip code on the Intrepid website for more information and to book.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this tour. Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing, physical distancing is highly encouraged, and frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
Last modified (date)
Joining point instructions
Climate and seasonal
Your fellow travellers
Joining point description